Amana ASX14 vs Goodman SSX14

Any help is appreciated!

My 8 years old 5 Ton Amana R22 outside condenser is dead and inside cooling coil is also leaking so I am thinking to replace both of them with R410a system. I am using gas furnace with fan so I don't have to replace furnace, correct?

Got several price quote, best priced contractor gave me 2 quotes like this,

1. Amana ASX140601 + goodman CHPF4860 cooling coil + other parts freon labor etc, let's say price at XXXX

2. Goodman SSX140601 + goodman CHPF4860 cooling coil + other parts freon labor etc, price at XXXX minus three hundred bucks.

He told me other parts freon labor are the same, cooling coil is also same, the only difference is the outside condenser. He said Amana ASX14 is totally same, a rebadged unit from goodman SSX14, but a better brand so for three hundreds more. Is he correct? Is it worth that more money? I did research on both websites and seems they are from same company Goodman, and have exactly same warranty (lifetime compressor and 10 years other parts).

One more question is, On goodman website they listed Product Features as below,

•High-efficiency scroll compressor
    •R-410A chlorine-free refrigerant
    •High- and low-pressure switches
    •Liquid refrigerant return protection
    •Factory-installed liquid line filter drier
    •Copper tube / enhanced aluminum fin coil
    •850 RPM condenser fan motor
    •Service valves with sweat connections and gauge ports
    •Louvered sound control top for quiet operation
    •High-quality compressor sound blanket
    •AHRI certified; ETL listed

But on Amana's website, they only listed Product Features

•High-efficiency scroll compressor
    •R-410A chlorine-free refrigerant
    •High-density foam compressor sound blanket
    •Factory-installed filter drier
    •Copper tube / enhanced aluminum fin coil
    •Amana brand sound control top for quiet operation
    •Long-lasting Amana brand quality and durability
    •Service valves with sweat connections and gauge ports
    •AHRI certified; ETL listed

Basically Goodman SSX14 listed the following 2 feature but not listed for Amana ASX14, why? If Amana is more expensive but with less feature then I will go with Goodman, if they are indeed same feature just Amana not listed on the website, then I can consider to go better brand (and quality?) with a little of more money, correct?
    •High- and low-pressure switches
    •850 RPM condenser fan motor

Thanks again for reading. BTW, do I need expansion valve ?

What you really need over any features of mechanical equipment is figure out how much heating and cooling you actually need and will your current duct system allow for 5 tons of airflow.

I bet a generous sum you only have 3.5 to 4 tons worth of delivered cfms st best.

Amana will replace the entire condensor and not just the compressor if there is a failure.

Amana compressors are 2 stage, and I recommend a txv with this system. Ask your contractor if your blower is variable speed. If not, either replace the furnace as well or go with the Goodman.

Goodman builds a solid unit. It is single stage and SHOULD match with with your furnace, but again, check with your contractor. Don't really need a txv with a Goodman condensor, but I recommend it.

You can post your furnace model number if you want to know more.

The ASX14 is not 2 stage.

It does have high & low pressure switches and they are tied to a Copeland Comfort Alert compressor protection & diagnostics module. That a nice feature. I don't see fan RPM shown anywhere on the Amana but I highly suspect it is also 850 RPM.

I personally suggest a TXV to keep the coil colder under all conditions. The 2 units are mechanically the same so no reason why to put on 1 not the other.

Thank you all for your reply. Yes ASX14 is a single stage, its next level ASXC16 is 2 stages but be around six hundreds more and also need a variable speed furnace. So you all think ASX14 just same as Goodman SSX14 so no reason to put three hundreds more, correct? Do I need or better off with a expansion valve? BTW i am in Texas and definately need a 5 ton unit to cool my house, calculation says i need 9.7 ton altogether and I have a 5 ton downstaire and 4 ton upstair. Thanks.

Yes you will be better off with an expansion valve, Amana and Goodman are the same so choose whichever.

Quote Originally Posted by photosaver99 View Post
    Thank you all for your reply. Yes ASX14 is a single stage, its next level ASXC16 is 2 stages but be around six hundreds more and also need a variable speed furnace. So you all think ASX14 just same as Goodman SSX14 so no reason to put three hundreds more, correct? Do I need or better off with a expansion valve?

BTW i am in Texas and definitely need a 5 ton unit to cool my house, calculation says i need 9.7 ton altogether and I have a 5 ton downstairs and 4 ton upstairs. Thanks.
    WOW 9.7-Tons. How many sf is your home where the 5-Ton went out?
    How old is the home & is it all glass... (single pane, )

SBKold
    What you really need over any features of mechanical equipment is figure out how much heating and cooling you actually need and will your current duct system allow for 5 tons of airflow.
    I bet a generous sum you only have 3.5 to 4 tons worth of delivered cfms at best.
    Amen, to that SBKold.