+ Reply to Thread

Thread: co detectors can be faulty.

Post Likes
    what is the best way to check c.o detecters? someone told me that pressing the button only checks the sounds but not the detecters itself. second is there any good co detetors out in market.

Post Likes
    Let me save you the time and expense of testing UL2034 approved CO dectectors.

If you go to: http://www.gastechnology.org/webroot...rts/020112.pdf
    you can read the Gas Research Institute report on "The Performance and Reliability" of UL approved home alarms.

Some of their findings were:
    - 38% of alarms purchased in retail outlets didn't work, brand new, right out of the box
    - UL requires that the test button only test the buzzer, not actually the sensor.
    - models with digital displays were so inaccurate that they "seeming displayed random numbers"
    UL strictly prohibits an alarm from ever, ever, alarming below 70 ppm......

Most UL approved alarms are also cross sensitive to a bunch of common household cleaning products, paint, high/low humidity and, due to the lousy (cheap) sensor technology, are guaranteed to alarm when they reach the end of the sensor's life....

If you want a 'professional grade' alarm (that really works) you need to get one from CO-Experts or NCI - all the rest are ..... junk.....

Post Likes
    Aprilaire has a good co detector & a test kit too.The test kit is a spray paint can with co in it & a plastic bag to cover the detector.I like thier detector because they have an activation lever that starts a count down.Five years from date of activation & the alarm will beep every so often indicating the alarm is not to be relied upon & needs replaced.
    Take your time & do it right!

Post Likes
    I beg to differ, I have tested the CO levels in the April Air test can - 1,100 ppm.

Yea, it tests if a co alarm works - at all...

Geeze, CO poisoning is the NUMBER ONE CAUSE OF ACCIDENTIAL POISONING IN THE USA....

Again, I would argue that ANY UL approved alarm offers very, very minimal protection.

When I do training on CO, I (jokingly) ask for a 'volunteer' to breath 100 ppm, I have yet to have a taker... (except for one 'stoner')

UL 2034 approved alarms (like the April Air) are a joke..............

JMHO

Post Likes
    Two sites for everybody to check out - and make you an instant 'expert'.

http://www.coheadquarters.com/CO1.htm

and

http://www.coexperts.com

If you want to argue with either Dr. Penney or George Kerr. bring it on!!! Both these guys have been 'around the block'...

Post Likes
    THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS YOU ARE THE BEST. HAVE A HAPPY HOLIDAY.

Post Likes
    I wouldn't trust ANY CO detector fabricated in China.
    Plastic toys is one thing, but a safety device for the home is QUITE another.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

anyhow...

approximately 2,500 people per year die of CO in their homes.

approximately 35,000 people per year die from gun related deaths, 50% were murdered, 5% were accidents
    is there a detector one can buy for that?

oooops, wrong thread.
    my apology.

Post Likes

This is such an important topic that I am bumping it back to the top. Rudy has supplied us with some very important CO information and resources.

Also check out Bacharach's CO site at

http://www.bacharach-training.com

Post Likes
    NORMCHRIS did you used to teach hvac at NIACC ?

Post Likes
    A U.L.aproval means not much more than an appliance will not catch on fire if you plug it in.To say that a c.o. alarm that goes off & saves lives is a joke is just plain old wrong.Just yesterday I did a heat exchanger replacement on a furnace that was installed eight years ago & never looked at since.If it were not for the c.o. alarm going off I would not have been called until after it was to late.Do alarms leave alot to be desired?yes without a doubt!Offering something more than pushing the test button is a good idea,having timers is a good idea,stressing that a c.o. alarm is in no way a replacement for annual service is a good idea.Yes there is definate room for improvement on current standard on alarms,but honestly I have at least two dozen calls a year for c.o. alarms going off & in most cases there was a clear & present danger to the inhabitants of the building,I am not laughing!
    Take your time & do it right!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by tatted1979
    NORMCHRIS did you used to teach hvac at NIACC ?
    That is correct. I did.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in