Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    1

    Carrier 19XR Liquid Carry Over

    Centrifugal compressor Carrier 19XR we found liquid carry over in the suction elbow. We first tried to remove R134, about 100 kg.
    We checked for excessive oil in the refrigerant. We checked the float valve we still have carry over and maybe, there is a problem with the distributer line in the bottom of the evaporator.
    Any suggestions to assist us to resolve this problem would be welcome.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    U.A. (upper Alabama)
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by mot View Post
    Centrifugal compressor Carrier 19XR we found liquid carry over in the suction elbow. We first tried to remove R134, about 100 kg.
    We checked for excessive oil in the refrigerant. We checked the float valve we still have carry over and maybe, there is a problem with the distributer line in the bottom of the evaporator.
    Any suggestions to assist us to resolve this problem would be welcome.
    Where was ref. checked for oil? If on bottom evap. remember oil is going to be on the top of the refrigerant.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    MEXICO
    Posts
    472
    works properly, the oil return system, which operates the machine conditions?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Baltimore MD ( Balimer, Murilyn)
    Posts
    140
    You said you had "liquid carryover in the suction ell". Was the carryover causing problems? Amp fluctuation? What was the superheat reading?

    The oil return system pulls oil from the bottom of the ell and returns it to the sump.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Not in Iran
    Posts
    1,093
    perk., u said oil is on top of ref?? i thought oil is on bottom of barroll

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    604
    This type of thing kills me. Very few seem to know some basic principles.
    Oil floats on water, right? Check out specific gravity of refrigerants in comparison to water. Then figure out where the oil will be.

    Simple.

    These damed things will slug liquid with a gallon of oil in evap.
    Make sure the charge is correct and then go from there.
    Let us know if you are unable to figure out how to determine if the charge is correct.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Not in Iran
    Posts
    1,093
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrene #2 View Post
    This type of thing kills me. Very few seem to know some basic principles.
    Oil floats on water, right? Check out specific gravity of refrigerants in comparison to water. Then figure out where the oil will be.

    Simple.

    These damed things will slug liquid with a gallon of oil in evap.
    Make sure the charge is correct and then go from there.
    Let us know if you are unable to figure out how to determine if the charge is correct.
    ok ., then y on an rthc do they have a gas pump that takes oil from the bottom of evap and put back to sump due to oil migration??

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Western Wa
    Posts
    1,839
    Carrier skims oil from the top of the refrigerant level, and York Yts suck it off the lower part.

    Anybody else ever scratch their head at that one?
    God Bless our Veterans

    God Bless the USA

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by mlkwal1 View Post
    ok ., then y on an rthc do they have a gas pump that takes oil from the bottom of evap and put back to sump due to oil migration??
    An RTHC is not a flooded barrel, it's a falling film. The refrigerant is metered in through the EXV @ the top, and sprayed over the tubes causing the liquid refrig. to FALL down over the tubes it will pool up at the BOTTOM of the barrel, keeping in mind the EXV is controlled by the liquid level sensor, it's not a deep level. The oil will fall down to the bottom, and is picked up by the gas pump.
    The Carrier has a flooded barrel, where refrigerant is FLOODING the barrel keeping the tube submerged. Refrigerant is fed from the bottom of the evap. the oil is going pool up on the top. As mentioned before the Carrier XL/XR are SENSITIVE for oil log which will cause carry-over, something fierce.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    540
    Quote Originally Posted by servicetrane View Post
    works properly, the oil return system, which operates the machine conditions?

    Ummm...What?
    Low Pressure Forever!

    If you know heavy metal, you can work anywhere-Dave Andreson

    Anchors Aweigh my boys, Anchors Aweigh!
    Farewell to foreign shores, We sail at break of day. Through our last night on shore, Drink to the foam. Until we meet once more. Here's wishing you a happy voyage home!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,833
    yeah
    rthd is also falling film 2 eexv's

    if you run cold condenser water even for a short tim
    you will be pumping refrigerant back up from the bottom of the evaporator!!!!!!!!!!!!
    using your shiny little g5 twin
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Not in Iran
    Posts
    1,093
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy S. View Post
    Carrier skims oil from the top of the refrigerant level, and York Yts suck it off the lower part.

    Anybody else ever scratch their head at that one?


    an rthd is a screw machine, where the carrier we are all talking about is a centrifugal same as york yt., is this the reason y oil is at top and not bottom due to the diff in styles? and when u say lower part of the york , r u talking about the bottom of the barroll of the york. also what exactly happens when u get liquid cary over in a centrifugal? eat up bearings?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,833
    alot of questions in one post

    as you know the rthd is a falling film machine
    the liquid comes in the top of the evap through two eexv's and the refrigerant falls to the bottom
    there are two solenoid valves that return oil.


    I am told they also have this on the new wheels so it does not matter that it is a screw or a wheel!

    just about any other machine the oil that is not mixed in with the refrigerant
    MISABILITY of the oils differ. will be on top. most all of the big chillers we have worked on in the past were flooded barrells!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    a float that controlled the liquid level.

    so when you said earlier you thought the oil would be on top you would be correct.

    like mentioned earlier carrier skims oil off the top.

    as far as carry over, is what dx guys call liquid slugging.

    I have seen some pretty good damage done to the wheel!





    Quote Originally Posted by mlkwal1 View Post
    an rthd is a screw machine, where the carrier we are all talking about is a centrifugal same as york yt., is this the reason y oil is at top and not bottom due to the diff in styles? and when u say lower part of the york , r u talking about the bottom of the barroll of the york. also what exactly happens when u get liquid cary over in a centrifugal? eat up bearings?
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event