Thread: Carrier 30HR110 chiller freezestat

Post Likes
    Does the freeze stat sensing bulb on a Carrier 30HR110, non-flotronic, water cooled chiller simply slide out. It is supposed to from what I recall, but this one seems stuck. Can you help me out, Carrier doesn’t seem able to. We will be replacing it with an automatic reset type of a “off the shelf” variety.

Thanks.

Post Likes
    I'm not 100% sure but I think the freeze stat is direct immersion. It has a long element that extends down between the tubes so that it responds better to the evaporator temp.
    If the water valves hold it shouldn't be a problem to replace.

Post Likes
    Why are you going to an automatic reset?

Post Likes

JHarmon

Damned good question.

Post Likes
    it slides out just like the TC-1 bulb for the chilled water sensor.should be a set screw at the opening so the bulb part is held in.
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Post Likes
    Originally posted by jon harmon
    Why are you going to an automatic reset?
    This chiller cools ethylene glycol that is used in a process. They want the leaving fluid around 32°. The one there now has tripped when maintenance personnel are not available to reset it. I know the next question, why did it trip? They feel like an auto reset would permit shut down and prevent fluid temps from going out of sight, yet still provide some degree of safety. The evap temp runs about 18 to 20°F and the existing control has had the stop bent back so they could dial it down.

Again, I like a freeze stat that is manual reset too, but this is what THEY want. I also want to switch from the cam style staging temp controller $$$ to a new Honeywell 4 stage electronic controller. That’s the next modification.

Post Likes
    I would hate to be in your shoes if you loose a compressor or freeze a barrel. I strongly urge you to reconsider & go with the OEM part or atleast stick with manual reset. Is the existing freeze stat failed? If not, are you having nuisance freeze stat reset calls? If the stat is not failed, you may want to check your strainer, wich if it is dirty that might lead you to your flowswitch. Is the flowswitch circuit interlocked with the pump starter? If not , it might be interesting to see what happens at shutdown. If the flowswitch is failed & the pump is sutting down by timeclock or EMS, the chiller could be staying on line, perhaps the flowswitch is your start/stop control.[wich is not one of my favorite situations] I,m not trying to get in your business, but in my humble opinion, going with the auto reset is not in your best interest.
    All my leon freaked out!

Post Likes
    Sorry, I type slow. Now I understand.
    All my leon freaked out!

an "expert" Guest
    This answer may be somewhat late, for any help.
    Here's what the book says; "When cooling below 33 F (glycols or brines), use thermostat no. HH22PB030, with well no. 30HH406102 available from Carrier Parts Centre, Syracuse."
    I can't carry all the books required for Products, anymore. I went out and brought the Laptop into the house and connected to HVAC Partners, for the info.

http://www.new.hvacpartners.com/site...LMnqWm%2boc&TA

Post Likes

?? Ar

Although I guess it doesn't matter but did anyone check the stat with ice water to see how close it is to setpoint. Of course I suppose this is a stupid question since no one knew how to take the bulb out in the first place.
    Shame on me.

an "expert" Guest
    LOL, geat thinking, twcpipes. Back to the start.

Post Likes

an "expert"

Yep, about once every ten years I am really awesome.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in