Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Private Label Furnace Question

Post Likes

Private Label Furnace Question

I am getting ready to replace my Furnace and A/C. Old unit is 20 years old. I did a lot of research on contractors based on the information I read on this forum. Had first contractor out yesterday, he did a manual J, spent a lot of time talking with us about our current unit and how he sized the new unit. Old unit is 175,000 BTU (yes that's right), he is saying we only need a 60,000 BTU unit (house is 2800 square ft). I was very comfortable with what he was saying, when I asked what brand of furnace he was recommending, he stated is was a private label, but made by Johnson Controls (York, Luxaire, Coleman). I believe it is the equivalent of the Luxaire LX TM9V. Question, is this a common practice these days or should I be wary of getting a 'private' label furnace/ac?

Post Likes
    MJ

how is furnace identified?

which manufacturer made it?

is there a warranty?

if so, who is standing behind the warranty?

where is place of manufacture?

any of this in writing?

I personally would proceed with a high degree of skepticism, ie buyer beware.

IMO

Post Likes
    Private label furnaces are not uncommon. Find out who the mfg. is. They usually have the same warranty as the name brand equipment.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdunes View Post
    MJ

how is furnace identified?

which manufacturer made it?

is there a warranty?

if so, who is standing behind the warranty?

where is place of manufacture?

any of this in writing?

I personally would proceed with a high degree of skepticism, ie buyer beware.

IMO

That's the biggest bunch of bologna I have ever heard.

Private labeling is for the purpose of quality contractors selling themself, not some over-hyped brand!!

He did a Manual J, sized the equipment properly, and is very carefully, and more than likely, downsizing appropriately.

Write this man a check and watch the professionalism. Can't believe anyone would bad-mouth this guy. He's doing it right.

Post Likes
    I did not see a spec sheet for the furnace or ac. It is a private label made for his heating company. He indicated that it was made by Johnson Controls the same people that own/make Luxaire, Coleman and York. The brand is
    "his company name" Signature 96%, 2-stage for the furnace and
    "his company name" Signature 15 for the ac

The warranty information is as follows and I have it in writing:

Heat Exchanger - Lifetime for original owner
    Furnace and A/C - 10 years for parts
    Humidifier - 5 years (Aprilaire)
    Air Cleaner - 5 years (Honeywell Media)
    Labor - 5 years

His company has been in business in our area since 1933 and is family owned and operated. He is NATE, ACCA and EAI certified and has a BBB rating of A- with no outstanding complaints.

I also have another contractor coming out today.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MJSmith View Post
    I did not see a spec sheet for the furnace or ac. It is a private label made for his heating company. He indicated that it was made by Johnson Controls the same people that own/make Luxaire, Coleman and York. The brand is
    "his company name" Signature 96%, 2-stage for the furnace and
    "his company name" Signature 15 for the ac

The warranty information is as follows and I have it in writing:

Heat Exchanger - Lifetime for original owner
    Furnace and A/C - 10 years for parts
    Humidifier - 5 years (Aprilaire)
    Air Cleaner - 5 years (Honeywell Media)
    Labor - 5 years

His company has been in business in our area since 1933 and is family owned and operated. He is NATE, ACCA and EAI certified and has a BBB rating of A- with no outstanding complaints.

I also have another contractor coming out today.
    I am not a particular fan of York Products but not because of the product just the supplier in my area.

It is all about the details and this person has done the details cancel the other contractors do not waste their time and more importantly yours. You have found your contractor sign on the dotted line ASAP.

Post Likes
    The question would be: suppose this dealer goes out of biz or for some reason you choose not to deal with him anymore, does your parts warranty go with it? Or if he stops buying these private labels, what happens? I'd be leery.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    The question would be: suppose this dealer goes out of biz or for some reason you choose not to deal with him anymore, does your parts warranty go with it? Or if he stops buying these private labels, what happens? I'd be leery.
    I had a proposal from a company that relabeled Goodman/Amana to Xenon. They offered a nice labor warranty. I didn't take their offer, but later they went out of business.

Post Likes
    Thanks, good input. I will go back to the contractor and inquire regarding who is standing behind the warranties.

Post Likes

Smile

Hey everyone, Thanks for all the great feedback.
    I went back to the contractor and he indicated that he is indeed using Luxaire equipment with his label on it. All the warranties are backed by the original equipment manufacturer and are registered with the manufacturer.

I liked this guy the best out of the two - See my other post about the discrepancies in the Manual J calculations. I also asked this contractor about his calculation in comparison to the other. He stands by his calculation and actually offers a "right-sizing" guarantee. So I think I'll be going with this guy unless anyone has any other concerns I should think about.

Post Likes

MJS

Those quality guys are hard to find...Write the check...

Post Likes
    I went back to the contractor and he indicated that he is indeed using Luxaire equipment with his label on it. All the warranties are backed by the original equipment manufacturer and are registered with the manufacturer.

I liked this guy the best out of the two - See my other post about the discrepancies in the Manual J calculations. I also asked this contractor about his calculation in comparison to the other. He stands by his calculation and actually offers a "right-sizing" guarantee. So I think I'll be going with this guy unless anyone has any other concerns I should think about.
    Be very sure that it is a manufacturer warranty for labor, not just parts. There is an excellent local company in my area that is just private label, and probably their best selling point is 10 years parts and labor, which is also their own guarantee. In my local case, the company has a long and stable history, so that is not a problem. 5 years parts and labor is still an excellent warranty if not administered through a third party.

Companies with private labels tend not to sell the high end stuff, so that is something else to consider. Despite what appears to be a good guy, I would get a couple more quotes anyway. You may discover something was missed by the first two guys, like duct revision, or a feature of higher end furnaces that you could actually find desirable (you will be living with it for a while so you want to cut down on the chance for buyer's remorse). That is quite a cut in capacity as well - fully half in output, so I would would want a second opinion (third in your case if I remember from your other thread comments).

I would also ask your preferred guy if they have access to the Luxaire modulating furnace. Great furnace at a good price.

Post Likes
    If you are hesitant, get a confirmation in writing from the mfg that they do indeed underwrite the guarantee on that private label and contractor.

But as others have said, try to hang on with your installer/contractor as a good one is worth their weight in gold.

Post Likes
    Being in your area, if it is who I think it is, you are in good shape ... shoot me an e-mail (it's in my profile ..) and I can verify for you if you wish ...

Post Likes
    I went back to the contractor and he indicated that he is indeed using Luxaire equipment with his label on it.
    Maybe ask him what the comparable Luxaire model is or for a picture of the unit. I bet someone here can identify it.

For the record my house had a private label furnace (made by Keeprite)
    It lasted 22 years.

Post Likes
    Reply to Commerce48. The manufacturer warranty is a parts only warranty. Looked on the Luxaire site for the warranty info:

Every LX Series up to 97% AFUE gas furnace is backed with a lifetime limited warranty on the heat exchanger and a 10-year limited warranty on all other parts*.

I believe he quoted the LX 2 Stage. He indicated that the LX Modulating would be x dollars more. Do you have an opinion on Modulating vs 2-stage?

The contractor is offering his own 5 year labor warranty on all components he installs.

Post Likes
    I believe he quoted the LX 2 Stage. He indicated that the LX Modulating would be x dollars more.
    Only x dollars more? A bargain! More stages, more better. And with the new communicating stat coming that is compatible, superb performance.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by garya505 View Post
    I had a proposal from a company that relabeled Goodman/Amana to Xenon. They offered a nice labor warranty. I didn't take their offer, but later they went out of business.
    The Xenon name is common in many places, not just the firm you dealt with, so no problems there.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sammy37 View Post
    The Xenon name is common in many places, not just the firm you dealt with, so no problems there.
    The labor warranty from the company that went TU would be worthless.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by garya505 View Post
    The labor warranty from the company that went TU would be worthless.
    Sorry, didnt catch that.

Dont know about your area but around here, some of these companies are dropping like flies. I'd almost be leary of paying extra for a labor warranty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in