Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: sight hound and scent hound

Originally posted by hearthman
    Adopted brindle greyhound and a half-baked beagle. Mutt & Jeff. Or the Bell Twins, Ding & Dong; Or, Pete and Repeat. Add in the damn cat and you have eeney meeney miney and I hope there ain't no mo'!

Beagle funny as hell and sweet with that sad face...when she's not excreting on the kitchen floor for not getting what she wants. high maintenance but wouldn't trade her for the world. Hogs the covers at night and snores like a chainsaw. Barks at anything and everything just for practice. How come dogs don't get headaches from all that barking? Man, I do and so do my neighbors.

The rescued greayhound had to learn how to be a dog. Those SOBs at the tracks are the ones that should be exterminated--not the dogs. Your punishment for losing races is death. She is built like a deer and skiddish like a deer. Like others said, they are world class couch potatoes. She looks up at you with those sad brown eyes that melt you. When tearing up the backyd with the beagle cutting across the infield to keep up, she always runs clockwise. I say she's just unwinding after her racing career. Retired at 4 y/o, she was fast! Still amazing to watch. No odors, little shedding, never an accident in the house. Sweetest dog in the world. Glad we saved at least one.
    LOL to the first part, good stuff;
    I don't mean to be gullible but your comment about the ones that lose and their fate...are you serious and know, or are you blowing smoke, because I haven't heard of that?

Hey mosquito, quit biting (slap!!) me... İ
    Anyone like Josey Wales?
    C'mon, you know I'm right!

killing greyhounds

Hell yes! They overbreed them and keep crushing masses of them throught at the tracks. If they keep losing, they are put to death, usually in horrible ways. While some tracks euthanize them somewhat humanely, most do whatever they feel like. Hammer to the head, electrocution, slit throats, etc.It's like the damn Nazis.They used to slaughter about 60,000/yr but that's down to about 10,000/yr lately. Last yr the total greyhounds adopted into homes that went straight from the breeder to the home was something like 138. If you see a greyhound, you can be sure it was a track dog.

Really amazing dogs once you check into them. They can run 45 mph! Look closely and you'll see their bodies are aerodynamic. When running, the outstretched head is level with the chest to form an air ram for greater horsepower. They used to be owned only by royalty. The death of one was mourned only more if it was the noble's son.

You can read about them at the Nat'l Greyhound Adoption Program or NGAP. They survery you to see if you qualify and match them up!

Irish Wolfhound... sweet as a kitten, capable of eating two and three horses a day...

Teach the apprentices right... and learn from their questions and ideas.

Originally posted by swampfox
    I have a Red nose Pit Bull, she is about 8 years old now, say what you will about the breed, but she has a heart of gold and is extremely well behaved, I also have a siamese cat that bullies her around.
    Currently in the market for a pair of pooches. I have had pit bulls before, and will probably end up with a couple more. They are as much a product of their upbringing, as their instinct.

Coincidentally, I already have names picked out....

Mean and Moody!

I have a 3 year old Golden Retreiver who is probobally the smartest dog that I have ever owned. I just dropped $300 today on a 8 week old Jack Russell as a Christmas gift for my kids. I have never been a fan of small dogs but a Jack Russell is a Great Dane trapped in a small body !!

Originally posted by refrtech
    I have a 3 year old Golden Retreiver who is probobally the smartest dog that I have ever owned. I just dropped $300 today on a 8 week old Jack Russell as a Christmas gift for my kids. I have never been a fan of small dogs but a Jack Russell is a Great Dane trapped in a small body !!
    Awesome, you won't be disappointed...
    Be sure and get lots of pics.
    Anyone like Josey Wales?

I have had every kind of dog growing up, but the one that stuck to me and my personality is English Bulldogs. They are damn expensive, but worth every penny. Fat, lazy and so friendly

Here is 8-Ball (left) that passed away last year and Lexi (still with me)

This is my new bulldog Beadreaux (We are cajun) and my daughter last year at christmas. He was just a puppy in this picture, but now he now weights around 75lbs

Here he is again

Love them Bulldogs!!

Originally posted by ricm
    Irish Wolfhound... sweet as a kitten, capable of eating two and three horses a day...

DANG!! we saw one in a show once and thougth about getting one - heard they can be in excess of 180 lbs. - is that true?? That scared us a little and then the fact that these dogs where bread for hunting wolves was the other - glad to hear they are good dogs - maybe the next one will be a Irish Wolfhound.

Ended up getting a Golden Retriever - actually the wife did - he was 6 weeks and already fixed - didnt think they could do that - anyhow he was pretty out of it and just slept and whimpered for the first 3 days and I told her I thought something was wrong with him - next day he was as active as any pup - well that was over 1 year ago and he is the best damn dog!! Very smart and like someone else said you have to pay attention to them or risk getting your stuf chewed up - very emotional for a dog but he is my best freind!!

Black lab and golden retriever. I have small kids, and these dogs have been so gentle with them. The lab (male) is more lovable, playful and alert. The golden will sit beside you all day, but she's kinda stubborn and lazy.

Yes, they can get up to 180. Although this is not the pack, and don't know the people in the pic. My sister used to raise and breed wolfhounds. She had 11 of them. Sad part is... one of them was hit by a Cessna Airplane (They live in the Remote north in Manitoba Canada. It totalled the plane. And poochie too.
    Teach the apprentices right... and learn from their questions and ideas.

We've a shephard/collie mix and a australian shephard. Both are very good dogs. The aussie is a 40lb lap dog w/ neurotic tendency's but very sweet as long as he knows you. People are always more intimidate by the big one but the aussie is much more likely to bite you. Very territorial. used to have a rotty, she was a great dog. Would have gotten another one but don't like to support people who go out of their way to breed mean dogs. Not that rotties are mean, but the people who breed them seem to try for that.

Can't forget about him...
    Anyone like Josey Wales?

This is our Beagle, Christie. She's 15 this month and still going strong....a fat and happy senior citizen.

Check out the tail......there must be food about.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast