Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ancient Pharoahs had large stone walls that could be rolled from the kings chamber to the outside by means of hundreds of slaves rolling these thousands of tons slabs. In the cool of the desert night the wall would be rolled to the outside where it would cool rapidly in the night air. Just before sun up, the cooled slab of stone would be rolled back into the chamber where all day long it would "absorb" the heat of the room.
    i remeber readin something like this but the other way around

were theyd set these large rocks out during the day in the winter

and bring em in at night to heat the room

Heated rocks have been used in many cultures from ancient times to the present. Cozy log cabins in the winter are a lot cozier when there is a heated rock at the foot of the bed while you are sleeping.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Our church was built in the mid 1800's. There is a huge decorative plaster medalion in the center of the ceiling that was apparently a vent grill. The high attic would get hot enough to cause a pretty good updraft and this big cast iron damper could be opened with a chain and pulley setup to pull hot air up out of the sanctuary in the summer.

It's all been plastered over, removed, or re-roofed since then.

And my grandfather used to talk about building houses with a center chimney. A small fire would be started in the summer to cause an updraft and pull cooler evening air into the house for a comfortable night's sleep.
    Ryan
    Maintenance Guy
    -----------------
    naysayer, skeptic, conspiracy theorist

I also am fascinated by history,

Little off topic but, when I was in Japan we got a special tour of the Emperors Palace.

The history was amazing. The Shogun(S?) was feared by all and people tried to assassinate him on a regular basis...

So around the palace was built a walk around deck. In between each piece of wood was a metal strip.

So as you walked on the deck it squeaks and sounds like birds chirping. They called it a Nightengale Floor.

Primitive whole house security system.
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

When I read the subject hvac ancient history written by roboteq I thought he was writing his biography here.....bwhaaaa!!!
    Take your time & do it right!

When I was in honduras I went into an adobe home.It was 90+deg outdoors but it was about 65 inside & actually felt pretty darn chilly.

we need them today!!!!!

just a thought, i keep reading every one trashing many of the manuf. products as troublesome junk. i'm getting the idea[maybe false] that the majority of equept. is poory designed and shaberly built. my son in law does radiant and pretty much buys german for the quality. with that said it seems as if we could use some of those clever oldies around.

Originally posted by markwolf
    When I read the subject hvac ancient history written by roboteq I thought he was writing his biography here.....bwhaaaa!!!
    Well, I was tutored by old Pop Rivet hisself you know.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

In order for the developer to build a new shopping center the State required an archeological survey of an area along the Walloomsac River here in Bennington.

The archeologists determined that the Abaneki Indians had a regular industry along the river about 6-700 years ago. Butternut trees still grow wild along the river. The Indians would camp along the river when the nuts were ready to harvest. They would roast the nuts on fires then plunge the hot nuts into the cold waters of the river. This sudden temperature change was enough to crack the shells and make the meat extraction easier. It is believed that they traded this commodity because they found the product in surrounding areas where butternuts don’t grow and in areas where the Abaneki did not frequent. So experts surmise that the nuts were imported from the Bennington area.

Confused hay cool

what was the sales tax rate for the indians back then ?

Originally posted by R12rules
    Frank Lloyd Wright had some interesting ideas for cooling the homes he designed.
    Did he try to harness the water from his leaky roof designs for evaporative cooling?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12