Thread: Heat Exchanger

Just wondering how is the Heat Exchanger checked for possible splits/cracks? Service guy that comes to clean/service out old forced air - gas furnce told us that there is not 100% sure method of finding a crack. Unless you dismantle the furnce, he says..
    Well, than what are the chances of some service man coming and telling us our heat exchanger is crack and shuts the gas off - what are the chances he would be telling us the truth ?

There are several ways to tell. I always pull the burners and or the blower moter and do a visual check as well as an electronic check with a meter. Sometimes it can be hard to tell, especially if you have a duracurve heat exchanger. This is when a good meter comes in handy. I spent 600 bucks for my meter.
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

is you meter Voltmeter or other special meter? Can you explain how to check with this meter. May be I should request my service guy to check with a meter my Heat Exchanger next time.

Originally posted by bananaboy
    Well, than what are the chances of some service man coming and telling us our heat exchanger is crack and shuts the gas off - what are the chances he would be telling us the truth ?
    If the guy is honest, then it is more likely that the heat exchanger has a crack in it and he did not find it than if he says there is a crack and there actually isn't.

IMHO, there is no practical method of checking heat exchangers that will be 100% accurate in all instances.

The meter is a CO (Carbon monoxide) detector. As far a how do you trust the service person? If I am able to see it then I will do my best to show the customer the defect in the heat exchanger. If you as the customer are not able to see it then always get a second opinion. Some of the older furnaces such as Muller or Williamsons had secondary heat exchangers that were tough to see. Removing or cutting a hole in the panels would sometimes be necessary to inspect this.

A device called a furnace cam is the best way to check for cracks.

Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.