+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hearthmaster gas valve/key help!!

Post Likes

Hearthmaster gas valve/key help!!

Our 13 year old home was built with a pretty basic Marco fireplace. The home builder included a Hearthmaster gas log lighter, along with a Hearthmaster key and gas valve which is mounted on the wall. We had a small leak about 5 years ago, and the gas company determined there was a small leak coming from the gas valve/key. They removed the gas log lighter bar and capped the gas stub into the fireplace. We haven't had any problems since, but now I want to install a direct vent insert and I want to have the valve repaired.

Can someone tell me if what we have is a gas ball valve, or is it a Dante valve? The chrome cover plate to the valve clearly says Hearthmaster, and the valve looks exactly like the one on the Sioux Chief (Hearthmaster mfg.) website, but somebody told me it might be a Dante valve inside. I can tell you this - the key will turn many times, and is not limited to 1/4 turn so is this some type of corkscrew assembly and not the ball valve assembly I thought it was?

Can this be fixed by replacing the stem packing or does the whole valve need to be replaced? It looks like there is a threaded center part (the square key fits on the end of this) and I am wondering if I could have somebody replace just that part which appears to be connected to the actual valve.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for your help.

David

Post Likes
    Hi David, I wouldn't have anyone to try and repair that valve. Get the gas certified plumber that will install your direct vent fireplace to properly replace it when they install your fireplace.
    Common sense is NOT common !!!

Post Likes
    When they install a direct vent insert you should no longer need that valve. Have someone come out to check on installing the insert and tell them about the leaking valve. Hopefully they can find a good way to just remove it from the system. We have done this a couple times this year because people buried them under their floor, so we yanked them from the basement and ran new gas line.

Post Likes
    Doesn't there need to be an on/off valve somewhere near the fireplace to shut the gas off? If they took out the Hearthmaster valve, would they replace it with another or put in a gas ball valve with a normal on/off lever?

Most of the fireplace vendors here who sell/install the inserts won't even touch gas repairs; you need to have a separate plumber come out ahead of time and get it fixed.

Post Likes
    Here in SE Virginia, they install the valve under the DV gas fireplace in the area where the control valve is.
    Common sense is NOT common !!!

Post Likes
    Most DV fireplace will come with a ball valve under the fireplace with all the other controls. We like to have a shutoff in the basement also just for extra safety but it is not required by code here.

The area you are in might have stricter licensing requirements than other states. In WI pretty much any contractor can run gas lines (scary). I think in some areas you need to be a licensed plumber or HVAC contractor.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in