Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and I am currently having this problem at my house. I bought this 15 years old house this Summer so we didn't test the hydronic radiant floor heater, apparently our inspectors told us that everything is working fine. Recently, we found out that the floor in the upstair toilet is not working and our living room downstair is not heating. I checked on the Honeywell thermostat at each location and it looks like it receives power.
    I speculated a few problems but not too sure if I am on the right track. I think it might be involved with the wiring that controls the manifolds to open warm water flow through the tubes or one of the valve is not working. What do you think? Does anyone has a phone number for Honeywell Controls? Since it is going to be so expensive in Canada to have the contractors to fix this problem, I hope if something minor, I can direct my contractor right into the problem instead being fooled. Please help!!!
    Thomas & Tracy from Vancouver, Canada.

Good morning Thomas from Canada..its possible that it
    could be the zone valve or the wiring to and from.
    It could be a circulator,air in the system or it could be
    that its not balance properly.
    Then there allways the possiblity that it could have a leak
    in it somewhere and they disconnected it all together.

Only a pro that can see and feel the system will be the
    only one that can help you out.

You have a many of radiant contractor in your area to choose from,you should make the call.

Hey Tracy..You're not going to let Thomas keep having you walk on that cold floor are you?

There is no way to diagnose this problem for a tech.A good tech will listen but come to his own conclusions.just call someone out.There are so many different variables with hydronic in floor heat that it will take time to diagnose.If the zones are all open it could be a number if different things.Poor piping(improper spacing,to long of runs,improper layout,poor design),air bound loop,unbalanced zones,leak in zone,to low of temperature or temp mix,bound or inoperable zone pump,etc.etc.The problem is there is more than one way to set up an infloor system with a ton of different controls & without reviewing the system it would be fairly easy for us to give you the wrong info.
    Take your time & do it right!

Simple Thought

If you have a radiant slab remember it could takes hours to heat it up. Leave the thermostat on one temperature.....

See if the zonevalve opens up ? No.....no power(bad transformer , thermostat or wire),bad motor or zonevalve . Yes it opens------

Does the circulator come on ? No.... Bad end switch in zonevalve , relay , circulator or no power to relay or circ....yes---------

Yes ........ zonevalve open and circ is running but no movement of water .....bleed system of air or a valve closed.......in very rare case bad circ impeller....

Check it out and get back to us .......Ay

I would like to thank you so much on this Thanksgiving day for giving some initial consultation of our under slab hydronic floor radiant heat.
    I wonder what is the most I can do on this system, can I remove the thermostat to check if the wiring are ok?
    Here is some of the down-to-earth question:
    1. What is a circulator, it is visible or in the basement where the boiler is located? Is there a circulator for each zone?
    2. How many pumps are in a system of 2000 sqft house? Does it have individual pump for each zone?
    3. How to avoid big "bill" from the contractor?

Someone please step forward to help us out. We are walking in cold zone and there is lesser warmer love eh. Again and again, thank you for your folk's time.

Tracy and Thomas

Circulator is like a pump that moves the heated water through out the zone or system . Most likely by the boiler but does not have to be....

System could use a circ per zone or may use one circ for several zones, then you should have zonevalves that controll each zone.....

Do simple checking first ........Don't throw out the baby with the bath water

Post pictures will help alot

Originally posted by thomascanada
    I would like to thank you so much on this Thanksgiving day for giving some initial consultation of our under slab hydronic floor radiant heat.
    I wonder what is the most I can do on this system, can I remove the thermostat to check if the wiring are ok?
    Here is some of the down-to-earth question:
    1. What is a circulator, it is visible or in the basement where the boiler is located? Is there a circulator for each zone?
    2. How many pumps are in a system of 2000 sqft house? Does it have individual pump for each zone?
    3. How to avoid big "bill" from the contractor?

Someone please step forward to help us out. We are walking in cold zone and there is lesser warmer love eh. Again and again, thank you for your folk's time.

Tracy and Thomas
    there is no way to avoid the big bill. you need a pro and he needs to be compensated for his knowledge. you problem does not seem to be one that can be fixed over the internet. best of luck to you.

The latest but not the greatest, I read some articles on the internet talk about the average warranty for the system is 15 years from the contractor. I wonder is required by law for at least 15 years or it depends on certain contractor. But thank you all so much for your assistance.

Thomas & Tracy.

My firt two marriages did not last 7 years.....

A contractor will give you one year . The manufacture may give you longer on the parts but you have to pay for labor...

What you can do is only limited by what you know HOW to do.

So, if you're unsure of where to look next, your only course of action is to call in a contractor.

If you attempt a do-it-yourself diagnostic/repair on a system like radiant, you can wind up with absolutely catastrophic results.

Contractors in your area that are familiar with radiant can most likely be located at the Radiant Panel Association Find a Contractor page simply type in your city after choosing "Dealer/Contractor" from the dropdown menu.

You NEED to have a good relationship with a good, reputable hydronic heating contractor, because you have a complex, yet excellent type of system. I'm certain that these problems are relatively minor, and a good technician can straighten the thing out and explain the operation of it to you in short order.

Don't be pound-wise and penny-foolish, your home is above average just due to the fact that it's being heated with radiant panels. Don't sell yourself short and cause yourself more headaches down the road.

I agree with condenseddave's reply, although you'll have better luck finding a contractor at the RHWHA website.
    You need to have your heating system serviced once a year to ensure all the components are working properly. At that time they can check out your problems and either repair them or advise you of the cost.

I'm in Vancouver too and you should know that a lot of houses your age used polybutelyne piping in their radiant heating systems. That's a bad thing and you need to find out if your house is one of them.
    There is always a Plan B

Dougie,

What is Polybutelyne? Are there any report about this material? I would like to thank you all for your consultations. I will call a local contractor and start establish a good relationship with one. If you know one in Vancouver that you trust, please list them here. Thank you.

I don't know how close you are to Victoria, BC, but a member o fthis board, "Collin" is in Victoria. I'll try and get his attention. He might be able to recommend someone.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast