Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a 3rd month hvac student and in our class we vent and have mistakes in a room with out a shop fan how bad to my health is breathing in r22 or other refrigerants the class has about 15 students and about 5 groups of people all messing with refrigerant.

I have a gased headache. I wonder if a person could passout or have other problems from this exposure.

Sometimes I feel dizzy like I could fall down.

Yes, it is dangerous in non-vented rooms, it could kill a person...it displaces oxygen. Make sure the doors and windows are open when you guys are messing with it...a headache is a good sign that your not getting enough o2.
    In the field, we smell it only because it can tell you about the system, but you wouldn't want to start puffing on the end of your charging hose.
    your instructor SHOULD have a handle on this...
    Hey mosquito, quit biting (slap!!) me... ©
    Anyone like Josey Wales?
    C'mon, you know I'm right!

The only thing that should go into your lungs is PURE air.

But that ain't going to happen.

What is really funny is seeing a guy puffing on a cigarette while working with refrigerants. He might be sucking in a nice dose of phosgene.

You guys are spoda-be learning NOT to vent refrigerants!!!

Oh boy jt here you go !!! You are a liberal , I know exactly what you are thinking.........LAW SUITE !!!
    R-22 as a gas is not dangerous to you. Where the danger comes in is when the gas displaces the oxygen . You can prevent that from happening by lighting a torch and taking deep breaths !

Originally posted by refrtech
    Oh boy jt here you go !!! You are a liberal , I know exactly what you are thinking.........LAW SUITE !!!
    R-22 as a gas is not dangerous to you. Where the danger comes in is when the gas displaces the oxygen . You can prevent that from happening by lighting a torch and taking deep breaths !
    Man....youre MEAN....LOL
    In honor of Murray Woodgate (aka Carnak) 1961 - 2010

How does breathing refrigerant affect us? Hell, just read a few days worth of posts and you oughta be able to tell it can't be good for ya
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

All joking aside.......

The possibility of dying from being overcome by refrigerants is a reality to all of us here.

Primarily, refrigerant gases (like R22) will displace the air available for you to breathe. You don't have to be venting it.....you could be faced with a big leaker that you're going to instinctively try to isolate and close off. Don't do it without seriously studying all of the dangers involved.

I remember a fellow refrigeration mechanic some 30-odd years ago who died while servicing a water-cooled unit in the basement of a busy restaurant. He was asphyxiated by leaking R12 before he knew what hit him.

If you are faced with a high concentration of refrigerant in a confined space, force yourself to breath deep and fast......then get out of there. Your body's natural breathing regulator responds only to excess CO2 in the lungs and not a lack of O2, so you must purposely breathe in extra air to get the oxygen you need to survive.

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    How does breathing refrigerant affect us? Hell, just read a few days worth of posts and you oughta be able to tell it can't be good for ya
    you took the words out of my mouth

i thought you can get liver cancer...from it..

Refrigerant Safety.............

Here's a couple of good links to Trane's discussion on refrigerant asphyxiation and toxicity:

http://www.trane.com/commercial/issu...ntal/cfc6i.asp

http://www.trane.com/commercial/issu...ntal/cfc6e.asp

Thanks guys I didnt realise it was so dangerous

I am definatly going to be more cautious.

When I was a helper me and my mechanic were in a mechanical room with two ten tons. he told me too crack the the lines and bleed out the gas..(pre recovery days)... after that I was to take the door covers off. I could not get my nut runner on the 5/16 hex head to save my life. I must have been trying for about two minutes, I was telling my mechanic about how weird it was when I seen him on the floor. at that time the General Contractor came in and pulled us both out. man what a head ache. my mechanic did not make it back for days. I have never recovered the lost brain cells, this is the only explanation I have for still being in the HVAC buss.
    If common sense is so common how come so few of us have it!

add this stuff to the list of things kids are inhaling to get high now . out here in Cali it is getting to be quite popular with the teens.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast