from wood-burning to insert

I have a particular brand name in mind, but not really wanting to tag this thread with it until after this first question...

How difficult is it to install a liner in a chimney? I have been in HVAC service for 11 years, humping ladders and doing gymnastics and contortionist maneuvers in general the whole time.
    The locals here who are prepared to sell me an insert are telling me 8 to 15 for the installation, and I don't mean hours...
    What kind of termination is standard at the chimney cap?
    If it is necessary to defer to the pros for the sake of the public bulletin board, then e-mail me privately with such considerations as requested.
    It's great to be alive and pumping oxygen!

bet you it takes 1 hour maximum, did a DV Insert recently and dropping the liner down was only a challenge right at the smoke shelf as it was a custom woodburner that had some weird round tube heat exchanger that divided up the exit throat of the woodburner. If it is a DV you will have to use the termination that it was approved with.

Need to know gas or wood insert.. or pellet?

if its not 8 to 15 hours... then what? Minutes?

For a gas insert with a gasline my crew is in and out within 3 hours usually. Wood insert maybe 4-5 hours.

It is a wood-burning insert.

Since the house is considerably tighter as it relates to make-up air and proper drafting, do many of y'alls startups of these appliances check for the need for additional air, or for the need for an inducer atop the chimney?

Quote Originally Posted by jtp10181 View Post
    Need to know gas or wood insert.. or pellet?

if its not 8 to 15 hours... then what? Minutes?
    Since pricing is not allowed on this website, I can't admit knowledge of what it is. But it may have something to do with the cost of installation.
    [QUOTE]
    For a gas insert with a gasline my crew is in and out
    Last edited by The Doctor; 10-04-2010 at 07:43 AM. Reason: forgot how to insert comments with the quote feature