Research topic ideas

Research topic ideas

I am currently going for my two year degree in HVAC technology and in my technical report writing class we have to do a research project that deals with our major. I'm having a tough time coming up with what to do my topic on. I have to choose a topic from one of the options listed below. If anyone has any topics they feel would be good please let me know. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Research two or more products to determine which is (are) superior.

Research different test procedures to find which method(s) is (are) most accurate.

Research different software for the same application; determine which is preferable for the application.

Research/identify new materials presently used for a product or for prototypes. Tell why the new materials are better than those previously used.

Research/identify new labor-saving devices, tools, or instruments. Compare them to traditional or historical devices, tools, or instruments, and tell why the new ones are preferable.

Research new environmentally friendly products, devices, procedures, or services, and tell why they are preferable to those currently or traditionally used for the same purpose(s).

I saw a short segment on TV last night about a company in Maine that is reportedly producing a heat pump that will work in below zero temperatures. The name on the units was Acadia.
    It's a mechanical device, designed by humans, built by humans and operated by humans. What could possibly go wrong?

I, don't know why you are here in ARP asking a question about work.

That being said, research air filters for one subject. They are in plentiful supply at Walmart, you can start from the cheapest, 99 cent each to the costliest filters that go for around 15 dollars.

Then do some research on insulation for duct work. Its changed recently from R6 to R8. you could specify why.

Quote Originally Posted by jv1615 View Post
    I am currently going for my two year degree in HVAC technology and in my technical report writing class we have to do a research project that deals with our major. I'm having a tough time coming up with what to do my topic on. I have to choose a topic from one of the options listed below. If anyone has any topics they feel would be good please let me know. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Research two or more products to determine which is (are) superior.
    Maybe research Wrightsoft vs. HVAC-CALC to determine which heating/cooling loss load calculator is the best.
    Research different test procedures to find which method(s) is (are) most accurate.
    Compare all the different ways to inspect furnace heat exchangers and discuss the pros and cons of each method (there must be at least 15 different methods used over the years).
    Research different software for the same application; determine which is preferable for the application.

Research/identify new materials presently used for a product or for prototypes. Tell why the new materials are better than those previously used.

Research/identify new labor-saving devices, tools, or instruments. Compare them to traditional or historical devices, tools, or instruments, and tell why the new ones are preferable.
    Possibly talk about the new DRSA manifolds versus the old analog-gauge manifolds and how digital is superior and saves time.
    Research new environmentally friendly products, devices, procedures, or services, and tell why they are preferable to those currently or traditionally used for the same purpose(s).Do a comparison of current vending machines versus the new CO2 vending machines that are being introduced.(Coke is transitioning all their vending machines over to CO2 by 2015).

I'm sure there will be many more good ideas that others come up with......
    B.O. = B.S.

how about traditional cast iron boilers with on/off burners verses modulating condensing boilers with modulating burners that match the heat loss of the structure and run at higher net efficiences.

Thanks for the responses guys. You have been a big help