My builder is using 6" PVC from a new Jenn-Air range going out the back of the range and immediately horizontal approx 12', taking a right elbow approx 15' to the outside. Looks like he is planning to use flex hose too. Is this correct installation? Should he be using stainless steel pipe vs PVC? How high off the floor should the pipe be installed?

Help!

I have not seen pvc used on a Jenn-Air system. I would definitely check the instructions or get a hold of Jenn-Air to see if this is permissable.

Thanks for the post Top Dog. I'll check with Jenn-aire first thing in the morning. What about the layout of the ductwork I described? Does this work? Would you recommend galvanized sheet metal or flex duct? The installers are to complete in the morning. I need to be able to tell them that they have to remove the PVC and why. Can you help?

i am pretty sure that the international mechanical code as of the 2000 code allows sch 40 pvc to be used on your jenn aire vent you need to check with your local code offical to make sure.

Depending on the model Jenn-Air you have will determine length of run,elbows,flex duct,material,etc... need to know this before calling Jenn-Air.You should have the installation instructions with the product this too will tell what is acceptable.

The Jenn-Air instructions aren't detailed enough for this non-professional to understand, but I didn't see any mention of PVC. I'm relying totally on the builder, but question the use of PVC. This is a Jenn-Aire JES-9800 slide in range/oven.

In the 2000 international mechanical code it allows under section 505 on domestic kitchen exhaust equipment that ducts with downdraft exhaust systems shall be permitted to be constructed of schedule 40 PVC pipe provided that the installation complies with all of the following;

2.1 the duct shall be under a concrete slab poured on grade
    2.2 the underfloor trench in which the duct is installed shall be completely backfilled with sand or gravel
    2.3 the pvc duct shall extend not greater than 1 inch above the indoor concrete floor surface.
    2.4 the pvc shall extend not greater than 1 inch above grade outside of the building
    2.5 the pvc ducts shall be solvent cemented.

Somewhat still on topic but i read the code section you referred to and could not find anything on commercial kitchens. Do you know if the IMC states anything regarding downdrafts and commercial kitchens?

Thanks in advance,

Tristan
    tietje_3@hotmail.com

I'm not too familar with your Jenn-Aire model but..........I am in the middle of a Dacor downdraft hood install. we used regular gal. sheetmetal ductwork. flex was a definite NO-NO from Dacor. the being said..PVC coated ductwork should be fine. Schedule 40 6" pipe would be outragously expensive. no need for stainless pipe.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

I sure would not want pvc in my house for that! even CPVC might be questionable --
    is pipe going to be in a chase? 0.625 sheetrock linned?
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

I have pvc on a downdraft Jennair gas stove (edit, I mean range), which has since been replaced with a GE of the same basic design. It's worked fine for 13 years, but I don't use it much because it's so powerful that it's noisy and pulls a lot of heat away from the pots. I do have one suggestion. The fan housing comes with a ring that you either remove or keep in place depending on the length of the duct. Make sure this is done right.

[Edited by fat bob on 03-15-2006 at 10:45 AM]

i just installed the fan at the house i'm working on. just as i promised them....... it is ridiculously loud. Dacor remp3 blower pulling 1000 cfm through a 3.5"x10" duct into an 8" inlet on the fan. the owners won't be happy.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Cool listed instructions

Get the listed instructions as this is what the codes will usually default to unless there is a local ordinance to the contrary. In the case of a conflict, the more stringent applies.

Ask your builder how he is planning on makeup air for that exhaust fan. Does the installation comply with ASHRAE 62.2-2004? Ask him if he's going to get a Worst Case Depressurization Test done to confirm combustion appliances won't backdraft when that fans starts sucking the house inside-out.