Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Who grilles for Halloween?

I always give out grilled D&W hot dogs. Well; for about the last fifteen years.

Anybody else?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    I always give out grilled D&W hot dogs. Well; for about the last fifteen years.

Anybody else?
    Hot dogs for Halloween?

That is why your house always gets egged.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

Not a chance of eggs

All over this area small children see me throughout the year and say: You're the Hot Dog Man! A little girl stopped me over the weekend and asked if she could come and get a hot dog again this year. She told me all about what she was going to wear and her little brother is going to be a pumpkin - so watch for the pumpkin because that will be him. <g>

I have been doing it so long that people who originally came here as kids are now bringing their own kids back.

For years I was dressed up as A Middle-Aged White Man, but for the last five years or so I have worn my Cat-In-The-Hat Costume.

It's a tradition.

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    Hot dogs for Halloween?

That is why your house always gets egged.
    Last edited by Poodle Head Mikey; 09-28-2010 at 11:14 PM. Reason: syntax error
    PHM
    --------

All over this area small children see me throughout the year and say: You're the Hot Dog Man! A little girl stopped me over the weekend and asked if she could come and get a hot dog again this year. She told me all about what she was going to wear and her little brother is going to be a pumpkin - so watch for the pumpkin because that will be him. <g>

I have been doing it so long that people who originally came here as kids are now bringing their own kids back.

For years I was dressed up as A Middle-Aged White Man, but for the last five years or so I have worn my Cat-In-The-Hat Costume.

It's a tradition.

PHM
    -------
    LOL! Sounds cool. Better than that candy-stuff folks usually hand out. I like the idea, it is a break from tradition, probably a much needed one. Especially if you can make a good dog. They are not all equal. Some guy in my area made the best, but he was a mexican operating a cart and moved off. I suspect he was marinating the dogs in onions or something, dang they were good. He did something to make the meat special. I guess you can marinate it like any other meat, perhaps poke holes in the skin? I want to try that sometime, maybe with some worchestershire sauce.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

a brine for hot dogs - what about pigs?

We brine chickens routinely and they are wonderful. Earlier today I was wondering if we could brine a whole pig.

You know how pig-roast pigs pretty much suck? All the seasonings are on the outside and the inside is bland as cardboard?

Well; how about if we made up a nice brine, soaked the whole pig in it for a day or so, and Then roasted the bastard?

I'd have to work an angle for walk-in space somewhere though.

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    LOL! Sounds cool. Better than that candy-stuff folks usually hand out. I like the idea, it is a break from tradition, probably a much needed one. Especially if you can make a good dog. They are not all equal. Some guy in my area made the best, but he was a mexican operating a cart and moved off. I suspect he was marinating the dogs in onions or something, dang they were good. He did something to make the meat special. I guess you can marinate it like any other meat, perhaps poke holes in the skin? I want to try that sometime, maybe with some worchestershire sauce.
    PHM
    --------

We brine chickens routinely and they are wonderful. Earlier today I was wondering if we could brine a whole pig.

You know how pig-roast pigs pretty much suck? All the seasonings are on the outside and the inside is bland as cardboard?

Well; how about if we made up a nice brine, soaked the whole pig in it for a day or so, and Then roasted the bastard?

I'd have to work an angle for walk-in space somewhere though.

PHM
    -------
    try injecting the brine into the pig. i've done that before with venison works great.

We have been hanging out in front for years with a fire pit. The hot dog thing is only a few years old we use to get pizza. For years I would set up Halloween in my yard with all sorts of jumping and moving and spitting things. Getting tired of the setup and take down I didn't do it last year. I think I will do it this year but go small no moving things.

Halloween?????....I even grill on xmas eve if it isnt numbing cold out. Grilled

meat is the best. Never get sick of it.
    “If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.” ~ Sir Isaac Newton

I'm learning all the time, the tombstone will be my diploma!!!

Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy1010 View Post
    Halloween?????....I even grill on xmas eve if it isnt numbing cold out. Grilled

meat is the best. Never get sick of it.
    The first snow of the year I grill the "snow steak". It always tastes good.

Don't do much on Halloween. All the kids go to the malls so they will be "safe". I have not had a tricker treater come to the house for two years.
    Signature on hold. Trying to find a real Jefferson quote I like. Others here have bogus Jefferson quotes too.

Last year I gave out about 300 hot dogs

Of course some people ate two so maybe I only had 250 actual 'trick or treaters'. Although we do have a candy-reserve for kids who don't like hotdogs - so that would be some in the plus-column.

I have always served Dietz & Watson hotdogs but this year I am thinking about giving out Nathan Famous instead. Somebody asked me last year if the D&W were Kosher. <g>

I have to get my Solar Metal Roofing signs out - Halloween will be the perfect time to drum up some new business. <g.

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by wgrr View Post
    The first snow of the year I grill the "snow steak". It always tastes good.

Don't do much on Halloween. All the kids go to the malls so they will be "safe". I have not had a tricker treater come to the house for two years.
    PHM
    --------

Although we do have a candy-reserve for kids who don't like hotdogs - so that would be some in the plus-column.

-------

So what will it be kid, high colesterol or tooth decay ???? .

(only kidding. I'm not a democratic bureaucrat. I love halloween.)

I grill year round so Halloween is no different.

I've only had two trick or treaters in fourteen years here. The joys of being in the country.

Brining a whole pig? I do a lot of brining. If you had a big bathtub or one of those pools from Walmart it would work.

Invite me over.

Most people ask me how my smoked pulled pork is so good. It's in the brine not the rub.

jim
    Common sense isn't very common anymore.

Love hot dogs..with that being said, we live in the country too. No more little ones to admire their costumes. But I use to make a party for them of goulash and lady fingers and brains ( Jello with gummy worms ) when we lived in the ant pile. That's what I call the city. Kids loved the meal instead of candy !...but I still decorate the house
    You don't have to ASK

What I'm Against...

If you know what

I'm For...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast