Thread: Cost too high for Carrier repair?

Post Likes

Cost too high for Carrier repair?

I have a 6 year old Carrier Comfort Series 50ES Air Cond/Heat Pump. Recently it hasn't been really cooling very well and my service company here in Los Angeles said I need a new TXV and the cost for the whole deal seems very high. How do I know if the price is fair?

The service dealer has been in business for over 30 years and I assume they are reputable.
    Last edited by 63strat; 09-28-2010 at 08:11 PM.

Post Likes
    Strat can you edit the price out, rules

btw it didnt seem high to me IF they do it right, replacing driers etc.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by zachhvac View Post
    Strat can you edit the price out, rules

btw it didnt seem high to me IF they do it right, replacing driers etc.
    Thanks, I didn't know about the rules, post has been edited. Yes, they are going to replace the dryers. I'm wondering if any of this is covered under warranty, since the unit is only 6 years old. They said they checked, and that it was not.

Post Likes
    If you think it is to high then get a second bid. But remember we have had record heat here in LA so you might be waiting a while for some else to come out.

Post Likes
    Yep. Get another price or 2 on it.

Post Likes
    Well I don't know what you were quoted but I do know that there is a bit of labor involved so most of it is probably labor.If I'm right you might ask what a new E coil with the TXV would cost as there is slightly less labor involved usually.

Post Likes
    Thanks everyone. I got second quote from another very reputable authorized Carrier dealer her in Los Angeles, actually from the San Fernando Valley, and it is 40% less than my first bid. Same work detail: replace the TXV, replace the dryer, flush and replace with new R410A. I can't understand why there would be such a difference in price. One dealer is near Beverly Hills, maybe that's why they're more expensive? I don't know...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 63strat View Post
    Thanks everyone. I got second quote from another very reputable authorized Carrier dealer her in Los Angeles, actually from the San Fernando Valley, and it is 40% less than my first bid. Same work detail: replace the TXV, replace the dryer, flush and replace with new R410A. I can't understand why there would be such a difference in price. One dealer is near Beverly Hills, maybe that's why they're more expensive? I don't know...
    I saw the original price.
    I would really be skeptable in your area, with the rate a company should have to charge about what you will really get.
    First of all why are they flushing anything,its not a burn out just a txv change out.
    And the new 410 a , i would probably recover and reuse after filtering it since it probably isnt bad.
    Check the bbb or ask around, record heatwave, guys going low.
    He may not plan on being around forever or he may run his shop like a starbucks.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Post Likes
    Why would they need to recover? Is it the outdoor TXV? Why can't this just be pumped down and repaired?
    "We always fix it right the second time".

All posts are strictly my opinions and not those of my employer. I cannot make statements on behalf of my employer.

All advice posted by me is for educational purposes only, HVAC repairs should only be conducted by trained & qualified people.

Post Likes
    May be reasons that only a tech on site can know.

Post Likes

pump down or recover

Quote Originally Posted by dougfamous View Post
    Why would they need to recover? Is it the outdoor TXV? Why can't this just be pumped down and repaired?
    Im doin an od txv on a 6 yr old trane this week .... The system has never had any r22 added .... I wont disturb the service valves either ....
    My avatar is a picture of a Goodman Silencer .....These were commonly used in Goodman country ....Photos by hvac tech ( PaysonHVAC )

Post Likes
    Thanks again for the advice. Today another local company came over unscheduled, looked at the unit and said I was just low on coolant. He didn't think anything was wrong with the TXV. I asked him about a leak possibly causing the low coolant level, and he said they'd check for that. His repair would be very inexpensive compared to the others.

In the meantime, by a few minutes, I'd just already asked the 2nd company to do the job, and they had to order the TXV from Carrier. They're going on the diagnosis from the first company, the expensive one. I had to pay $75 to rush the TXV from Carrier in Tennessee.

Now I'm just not sure what to do. I don't understand enough about recovery and other things to make an informed choice.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dougfamous View Post
    Maybe some A/C have a pump down, but, I have never seen one with a receiver to into or a valve of any kind to isolate the e-coil from the condenser.

Jim

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by james122964 View Post
    Maybe some A/C have a pump down, but, I have never seen one with a receiver to into or a valve of any kind to isolate the e-coil from the condenser.

Jim
    Service valves to do that have been common on residential A/Cs, and heat pumps for a long time now.

Post Likes
    Maybe the first company is not just pumping it down, because he wants to do the job correctly. If the TXV is contaminated, that means you need to recover ALL of the refrigerant, and yes... that even means you have to replace that pesky filter drier that might be located inside the condenser. and no, that doesn't mean you can just add an extra filter drier outside the condenser.
    Homeowner...
    How did the two companies check the refrigerant charge? Did they have guages and temperature probes attached to the lines? This may be an indication of who is the correct tech... If the TXV is contaminated, internally restricted, or otherwise malfunctioning adding refrigerant may mask the problem and cause the system to run at higher condenser pressure, thus lowering efficiency and decreasing life expectancy.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in