Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

walk in freezer drain

have a freezer that has its drain trapped inside the box. i know it is not supposed to be but been this way since installation. its 3/4 copper wrapped real well with heat tape and insulated, seems to drain ok . well i was there today and the pan was completely frozen over . my question- would it be better to trap this outside the box (outdoors). I'm in maine so temps a lot of months through the year are below or at freezing. will it be better than trapped inside the box?

Post Likes
    If your choice is in the freezer or outside with freezing temperatures I would keep it on the inside with the heat tape.

Post Likes
    If you were in the south with little freezing temps, put the trap outside.

But you are in cold winter country. You will have to heat tape an external trap anyways, so you will add these problems-

Running heat tape thru the wall to the external trap- unless you sleeve it, always a chance of rubbing and shorting.

Vandalism- internally trapped, just a short stub out of the wall. Externally, a nice handle to pull and rip off.

Us a quality self regulating tape like Raychem, insulate well and direct wire. No plug in's- food workers love to unplug things.
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

4. Likes northeastbeast liked this post
    Post Likes
    Your best bet is loose the trap all together!

6. Likes northeastbeast liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Your best bet is loose the trap all together!
    I like this! Who cares if it sucks in outside air, your in the frozen north. It's frigid for half the year anyway. Just make sure it's got a good slope.

Post Likes
    never thought of getting rid of it all together.. that may be my best option

Post Likes
    Getting rid of the trap might be the best of 2 evils, but be aware that in the summer warm humid air will be able to come up through that pipe into your freezer which could cause problems with frost building up on the walls, ceiling, and/or product.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    outside on the bottom of the P-Trap install a S x S x thread "T". Pull the threaded plug in the winter reinstall in the summer.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by pecmsg; 01-13-2017 at 08:54 AM.

11. Likes GenesisRefrig liked this post
    Post Likes
    Loosing the trap will be just like having a 7/8" hole in the wall- drawing in moisture as Ammoniadog said. If you really want to go hack-easy, just stub out the drain fitting and install a 5 gallon bucket. No freeze up problems and the customer can sell block ice.

Do it right and trap it.
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

Post Likes
    Actually it a 3/4" hole but again it's not going to make a difference especially in the winter.

Never use a p trap on freezer drains in an uncontrolled environment

Post Likes
    You are seriously trying to recommend not putting a p-trap on a freezer drain line??? A cooler you might be able to make an argument, but in a freezer you would have to be nuts to risk turning the box into a winter wonderland.

15. Likes baub liked this post
    Post Likes
    That's actually an interesting question.

Been reviewing the mental photo gallery of service calls and installs.

I don't remember traps on walk in freezer drains. And have had a lot of problems with no traps on cooler drains.

Hmmmm . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by davidadavis View Post
    You are seriously trying to recommend not putting a p-trap on a freezer drain line??? A cooler you might be able to make an argument, but in a freezer you would have to be nuts to risk turning the box into a winter wonderland.

Post Likes
    I'd say it's about 40-50% of the walk-ins I service have traps. If it's a problem I put one on. But, if it ain't broke....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast