Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norms Book

I ordered Norms book about a week ago...

I have read many books on NATE prep, I actually teach NATE prep clases...and I must say I found Norms book to be outstanding!

I thought the book was very unique in it's approach as it talks about how test questions are written (the mindset) and mathematical reasoning and so on...it puts a lot of thought into "how to take a test". Something you dont find very often.

The sidebar tips are fun and educational, and the practice tests (included) are excellant.

I am not going to go on all night here, but the book is very easy to read and absorb...as many books are so dry it is hard to get through them, but not this one.

Well done Norm, what no picture of the author on the back?
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

How much did Norm.................
    Norman knows his stuff, that is apparent from his posts.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Glad you like it and hope you find it works for you. A few of the exam writers think I gave away too much information on how to beat the exam writers at their own game.

Norm

Where can I get the book?

Dice-goats & sons book store.

Just a general note on writing.

First there is more than one method in use, though they are all similar. And if you learn enough to upset the writers of items, without actually giving out their items, they aren't professinal writers to start with. Norm I haven't seen your book, but I do respect your opinions as I have seen them on different threads.

My only caution - be careful about content discussion. I have said this before. As copy right suits expand what is covered by the copy right it is getting more and more difficult to avoid enterng legally protected areas. And the federal courts are taking these copy right cases very seriously. (each item has an estimated value set by two differnt federal courts of between $975 and $1250 so two items also breaks into the grand larceny area and more legal charges.)

As far as giving away the mindset of the writers. Have at it. If people learn how to test it shouldn't hurt the testing agency. There are very specific things that have to happen on test to meet the standards used to make the defensible - so far a lot of the licensure and certification test haven't met those standards. So the more people know the better the test should become as the developers are forced to produce examinations of higher quality. Not a bad thing from any reasonable persons viewpoint.

Originally posted by glw1982
    Where can I get the book?
    You will be able to purchase it right here on the new HVAC-Talk bookstore that will be coming soon. Meanwhile, you can order it from the publisher;

http://www.palpublications.com

If I start recommending the book during my NATE prep classes do I get a "cut"?
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

If you want to order books in quantity from the publisher you may be able to get a discount. Contact the publisher and ask about a quantity discount.

Norm

It's also available on http://www.rses.org website. I was going to order it this morning but I may wait to see if the price is any less through our bookstore on our site here.
    R2B4BTU

norm do you also have one dedicated to pshycometrics?
    there but for the grace of god, go all of us

Originally posted by caosesvida
    norm do you also have one dedicated to pshycometrics?
    Yes, I have an unpublished book titled "Applied Psychrometrics For HVAC Technicians". I developed it for a one semester college level class I taught for many years when I was teaching HVAC fulltime at a community college. I had several hundred copies made at Kinkos just for my classes. Currently, I only have one hard copy left but have it in Microsoft Word.

I teach the same class as a two day seminar for York and hand out photocopies of the essential parts of it to those attending the seminar. I am considering revising it and publishing it. In the meantime, I am not making it available as I want to make some revisions and corrections before I let it go to the general market. It is unique as it not only covers the essentials of psychrometrics, it shows the technician lots of practical uses of psychrometrics for solving problems and tuning a system for a particular application. I tie psychrometrics to the fan laws, airflow measurement, hydronics, control adjustments, cooling towers, humidity control, economizers, mixed air applications, verification of system actual operating capacity and more.

Norm

Will there be a movie coming out soon? Who has been cast to play the parts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast