Thread: switching from residential to commercial service

Post Likes
    Hi, all,

I'm a journeyman in residential HVAC (service) but am now considering switching over to commercial.

I'm looking for advice on how to make the switch. Is it recommended for me to first take the commercial HVAC test through the union? Or should I start in a company that offers both residential and commercial, and make the switch after I have some hands-on experience in commercial applications?

I don't want to mislead an employer (if I take the commercial test but don't have enough commercial experience), or be lost on the job, but if I pass the commercial test first, I'd be making a good bit more money.

Any advice or insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Post Likes
    Just do it. I would try to find a company that is versed in light & heavy commercial. Some of the light equip. may be what you are already use to. Take it slow, you'll have to pay some dues[do some time] & work you're way over. Beware: Not all of the "heavy metal" guys will recieve you with open arms. Just use the very same skills you have used to charm all of those residential customers over the years. Also be aware that you're pay may suffer at first, but you will surely recover if you pick up the work.
    All my leon freaked out!

Post Likes
    Petaco... are you a refrigeration mech?
    Teach the apprentices right... and learn from their questions and ideas.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the advice, chiller mekanik. I think I might take the plunge.

And ricm, I'm not a refrigeration tech. I've done residential installs/service and light commercial, but for the last 3 years (new company) I've just been doing residencial service exclusively, and I think I am ready for a change.

Post Likes
    Here, you pretty much have to be a liscened Refrigeration Tech before you can work on HVAC stuff in the commercial world. Or, be working for a Liscenced Tech/shop. You'd do way better if you get onto an Apprenticeship for that. If you are a Tin Basher by trade, that's a help too.

Like Chiller said, dive right on in... the waters fine.
    Teach the apprentices right... and learn from their questions and ideas.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in