Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Heating a 3000 sq ft house

I need some suggestions on how to heat a 3000 sq ft home that has oil heat that they want to change.They have talked about electric but do not want to install a heat pump.I think gas would be the best option but they are worried about the dangers of gas and are trying to save money on heating but I have explained that electric is not cheap.
    We have checked on a 30 kw electric furnace but not available in our local area so we are looking for other ideas.

We are in eastern ohio and the winters can be very cold and windy.

Have they looked at a hydronic system? Can serve every room at seperate times. Running cost is fairly low with the boiler maintaining temperature and a circulation pump. I also find the heat from a hydronic system is much more comfortable than that of a furnace.

Who are "they" and who are "we"?

MIllions of people use gas for heating. "They" have more chance of being struck by lightning than getting killed in a gas furnace explosion (provided "we" know what we are doing)!

What location is the home?
    Always here

Quote Originally Posted by mentos21 View Post
    Have they looked at a hydronic system? Can serve every room at seperate times. Running cost is fairly low with the boiler maintaining temperature and a circulation pump. I also find the heat from a hydronic system is much more comfortable than that of a furnace.
    What are you going to heat the water with. Electric, or gas.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by sktn77a View Post
    Who are "they" and who are "we"?

MIllions of people use gas for heating. "They" have more chance of being struck by lightning than getting killed in a gas furnace explosion (provided "we" know what we are doing)!

They are them and we are us!

I agree with the lightning strike odds.

They are a neighbor of ours and we are just trying to help with ideas as to which heat will save them money.I am no expert but have worked with gas for years and feel good about the installation of a gas furnace.

Quote Originally Posted by mentos21 View Post

They have not looked at a hydronic system and I think the cost for the system and modifications to their current setup would be to expensive for them.They are looking for a cheaper way to heat their home as compared to the oil they use.

Quote Originally Posted by energy star View Post
    What location is the home?

Location is Eastern Ohio close to Pittsburgh Pa.

Quote Originally Posted by sktn77a View Post
    I don't know statistics on gas furnace explosions, but an article in yesterday's NYT says gas explosions killed 60 people and injured 260 more in the last five years. You are right that lightning kills more, but it depends on the state. Some states have very few lightning deaths or none at all.

Gas is dangerous, there is little doubt of that. Carbon monoxide deaths cause hundreds of fatalities a year in this country, far more than lightning.

While no heating method is completely safe, I think a client's fear of gas should be taken seriously and alternatives proposed. I would be curious as to why they don't have a similar fear of oil, and why heat pumps are also off the table.

Quote Originally Posted by commerce48 View Post
    I don't know statistics on gas furnace explosions, but an article in yesterday's NYT says gas explosions killed 60 people and injured 260 more in the last five years. You are right that lightning kills more, but it depends on the state. Some states have very few lightning deaths or none at all.

Gas is dangerous, there is little doubt of that. Carbon monoxide deaths cause hundreds of fatalities a year in this country, far more than lightning.

While no heating method is completely safe, I think a client's fear of gas should be taken seriously and alternatives proposed. I would be curious as to why they don't have a similar fear of oil, and why heat pumps are also off the table.
    They liked the oil but said the cost was high to heat their home last year and they say that the heat pump would not work well for them because of the cold temps in the winter for this area but I think some people have given them some bad advice because they think that the heat pump is more problems then they want to worry about during the winter because friends have told them that they are always needing repaired.

Remind them. That unlike most other heating devices/appliances. A heat pump has a back up/emergency hat source. And that new heat pumps are more reliable then older ones were.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by commerce48 View Post
    Gas is dangerous, there is little doubt of that
    yes gas is so dangerous, it's funny how we all just fill our cars tank up

then drive around with a tank full of that dangerous gas

there is little doubt that you know very little about HVAC

Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    yes gas is so dangerous, it's funny how we all just fill our cars tank up

then drive around with a tank full of that dangerous gas

there is little doubt that you know very little about HVAC
    It is very scary that you don't know the difference between gasoline and natural gas.

Your "experience" that you have had with your car not blowing up, or not being in San Bruno last week, is a clear example of "experience" and ignorance being dangerous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast