Good HVAC school?

Hello everybody. I am obviously the new noob here. I would like to say that this site seems to be filled with a bunch of good people and I am excited about learning everything I can from all of you.

I stumbled on this web site looking for a good HVAC school in Northern California, Sacramento area. I have attend AC/R training and recieved my Universal EPA cert. while I was in the military but have done nothing with it since then(2005). I am now out of the military and have a decent job with a opportunity to take over the HVAC program. The company I work for will pay for my training. My options right now seem to be WYOTECH or UTI. I have read alot of horror stories about WYOTECH and UTI.

What do all of you think about these two schools? Have any of you attended one or worked with somebody who has? All opinions are welcome.

Thank you for your time.

HL

Welcome to the forum, I kind of doubt the majority of the posters on this site have ever heard of those schools. Did you try searching the forum for those schools? Good luck in your career, another good tech is always needed.

You might want to try Twin Rivers Adult school. The teacher there is Alberto Macias and he's very experienced as a tech, etc.

Winona Adult School
    3222 Winona Way, No. Highlands, 95660
    916-286-3837

Good luck.

I would look up community colleges that offer an HVAC program as well.

EPA 608 certified: Universal

Well here in maryland, Steamfitters local 602 has the best program out there, maybe one of the best in the country. Weather your pro union or not it doesnt matter the education is great there and they want you to exceed. everyone i know in the industry that went thru a ACCA and or Lincoln tec, program said it was a waist of time and money and they just want your money they don't care if you really get the info or not.

Wyotech in Laramie has just about the worst weather ever if you're in to that kind of thing haha. Honestly though it is a good idea to network as well with some local and regional HVAC companies I'm sure some people would be willing to meet up and you can learn a lot that way too, maybe even get a shot at some work...

Mod team

Last edited by k-fridge; 11-13-2010 at 09:35 PM.

I went to UTI many many moons ago in Phoenix and got what I needed to get for an entry level job. (BTW Arizona is not for everyone!) Anyways, I and other UTI grads had a definite leg up on the other union apprentices. The education afforded my employer to pay me over scale providing 1 year return on investment.

Fastforward 25 years, different economic situation, different employment situation, different cost for school and...I thought UTI got out of the HVACR business.

Wyotech seems to have a good rep in the bay area.

Will you have a good paying job waiting for you upon graduation? The unions won't be opening the doors for apprentices any time soon if I had to guess, and I believe that's the best spot to make a living with bennys.

If I had to do it over, I'd get into instrumentation and controls for something like the water district. Check out ISA.org. You would get preferential positioning on a hire list for a gov't entity with the military background.

Quote Originally Posted by btuhack View Post
    I went to UTI many many moons ago in Phoenix and got what I needed to get for an entry level job. (BTW Arizona is not for everyone!) Anyways, I and other UTI grads had a definite leg up on the other union apprentices. The education afforded my employer to pay me over scale providing 1 year return on investment.

Fastforward 25 years, different economic situation, different employment situation, different cost for school and...I thought UTI got out of the HVACR business.

Wyotech seems to have a good rep in the bay area.

Will you have a good paying job waiting for you upon graduation? The unions won't be opening the doors for apprentices any time soon if I had to guess, and I believe that's the best spot to make a living with bennys.

If I had to do it over, I'd get into instrumentation and controls for something like the water district. Check out ISA.org. You would get preferential positioning on a hire list for a gov't entity with the military background.
    YAY for another UTI grad Pheonix campus! Yeah they stopped their program fall of 2001 just before I graduated.
    Universal Technical Institute 2001 Alumni - Pheonix, AZ Campus

I am currently attending Mohawk Valley Community College in Utica, NY. the program is great.

Vernon Community College in Wichita Falls, TX. Our instructor is a great guy. Also he's well known in the local HVAC-R community.