Page 12 of 99 FirstFirst ... 256789101112131415161718192262 ... LastLast
    Dear Serverroomcooling.

Based upon your current outside conditions of 60 degrees F, 57% RH,and the building A/C being on along with your current computer eqquipment heat load, the total heat load of your Server Room is: 25,920 BTU/Hr or 2.16 tons of cooling.

Also based upon the above conditions, the cycle rate of 3.5 minutes is only going to get worst for themost part(see above post).

In order to find the appox CFM, I will need the return and supply air temps along with the room RH if possible.

Standing by.........

Respectfully Submitted,
    John J. Dalton

Remember to wait five minutes

Dear Severroomcooling,

Please remember to wait at least five minutes after the compressor cycles on to obtain the return & supply air temperatures and RH. This gives the refrigeration system a chance to start and stabilize it’s operational temperatures.

Respectfully Submitted,
    John J. Dalton

Re: airflow

Originally posted by bbcmg04
    The number one key to PC Server rooms is airflow.
    Air flow is the number concern in cooling this type of equipment.
    Don’t be tempted to resolve this problem by buying an air conditioner. This is a ventilation problem and should be addressed as such.

The main thing you need to do is to stay focused on the problem. The problem is not that your room is hot. The problem is not that your Computers are hot. The problem is that inside the case of your computers, your CPU and drives are hot. Even if you cooled the room the only way to cool the inside of the case is to move the air.

bbcmg04...thanks....I am happy to report that the temp inside my racks is 74 degrees, which is a good temp. I am moving air through them as best as I can with my configuration. I have enclosed racks with fans on top pulling the hot air out of the racks. The server fans suck the cold air into the systems and that keeps their temp down which also keeps the rack temp down. The internal temp inside my power distributor is now 93 degrees, I have to find out, but I'm pretty sure that 93 degrees is a good number for that to be, it used to be 104!! Airflow is going well, now I need to keep the temp stable

John here's what I have,

outside temp was 67% during this sampling

3:20 PM 63 degrees cycle turned off
    3:21 PM 63.3 degrees
    3:22 PM 64.9 degrees
    3:23 PM 66 degrees
    3:24 PM 67 degrees cycle turned on on
    3:25 PM 66.9 degrees
    3:26 PM 66 degrees
    3:27 PM 64.9 degrees
    3:28 PM 64.2 degrees, indoor humidity 56%
    3:29 PM 63.7 degrees, indoor humidity 54%
    3:30 PM 63.3 degrees, indoor humidity 52%
    3:31 PM 62.8 degrees, indoor humidity 50%
    3:32 PM 62.8 degrees, indoor humidity 51%, cycled off
    3:32 PM 63.3 degrees, indoor humidity 52%
    3:33 PM 64.2 degrees, indoor humidity 53%
    3:34 PM 65.5 degrees, indoor humidity 55%
    3:35 PM 66.9 degrees, indoor humidity 64%
    3:35 PM 67.3 degrees, indoor humidity 66%, cycled on

this temp is a digital thermometer probe placed half an inch from the return gril

What ????????

Dear Bbcmg04,

In regards to the following comments:

“The number one key to PC Server rooms is airflow.
    Air flow is the number concern in cooling this type of equipment.
    Don’t be tempted to resolve this problem by buying an air conditioner. This is a ventilation problem and should be addressed as such.”

How do you address this heat problem with ventilation alone? I’m extremely curious about offsetting the heat of this Server Room with ventilation alone, especially when the building A/C is off, the surrounding rooms in the building are hot, and the outside temperatures is very hot and humid?

“The main thing you need to do is to stay focused on the problem. The problem is not that your room is hot. The problem is not that your Computers are hot. The problem is that inside the case of your computers, your CPU and drives are hot. Even if you cooled the room the only way to cool the inside of the case is to move the air.”

The computer equipment above, like all the computer equipment I’ve ever worked on since 1972, has built-in fans to move the hot air outside the case and get fresh cooler air inside. In addition there is an evaporative fan inside the Server Room providing approximately 120 air changes an hour.

What additional ventilation are you talking about?????

What is your experience regarding these types of projects?

Respectfully Submitted,
    John J. Dalton

You're obmitted a needed reading!

Dear Serverroomcooling,

You’ve omitted the supply air temperature from one of the supply registers in the ceiling. That’s needed.

If you haven’t gotten that, do the following:

Wait till the compressor cycles on again.

Wait five minutes for the refrigeration cycle to stabilize.

Obtain the return air temperature, the supply air temperature, and the RHinside the room as quickly as possible.

Post me on the results.

Thank you!

Respectfully Submitted,
    John J. Dalton

Good Evening......

Dear Serverroomcooling,

Looks like you’ve gone home for the day. I hope the system doesn’t ice-up again this evening. I wish I could have told you to reset the system thermostat to at least 69 degrees F for this evening. I’ll contact you tomorrow morning but will continue to monitor this thread for any new developments this evening.

If for some reason you are called in this evening or early tomorrow morning on an ice up and see this post, I highly recommend you reset the system’s thermostat to 70 degrees F until we can sort this problem out.

Also I look forward to the readings posted above so I can determine the approximate CFM of your system.

Talk to you soon.

Respectfully Submitted,
    John J. Dalton

yeah....I did got home, actually made a pit stop at the Heat game (like I need to see more heat!!)

I am pleased to announce that the temp has remained stable, looks like there has not been any deviations between this afternoon (with the building AC on) and this evening (when the building AC off).

the temp is still 68 outside with 50% humidity

I'll get the rest of the numbers tomorrow

let me get this straight, after 5 minutes of the AC being on, you want the air temp by the return grill as well as the temp from one of the ceiling ducts??

Dear Serverroomcooling,

In a word….yes. Room RH as well.

Respectfully Submitted,
    John J. Dalton

Here's what I got....I hope it makes sense....after 5 minutes of the cycle being on, I had my acurite thermometer probe just below the supply vent, and the unit itself just under the return grill. The supply was reading 50 degrees and the return was at 65. The room RH was 58%

outside temp and humidity is 69% F 49% RH

Dear Serverroomcooling,

Just got here. Let me check these readings.

Respectfully Submitted,
    John J. Dalton

Dear Serverroomcooling,

To try and make this approximation as accurate as possible, could you give me the model number of the Trane air handler in your Server Room?

Respectfully Submitted,
    John J. Dalton

Page 12 of 99 FirstFirst ... 256789101112131415161718192262 ... LastLast