Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

To join RSES or not to join RSES

Can you guys please weigh in. I'm considering joining RSES. It's $103.00 bucks a year. But $103.00 bucks is $103.00 bucks. Can you tell me is it worth it????

It's not going to fix itself...

I didn't get much out of it, personally. It might be worthwhile if you have an active group in your city.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

Was in one for a year. All it did was waste a day every two weeks to go the meetings.

Oops got rses mixed up with a referral group.

Quote Originally Posted by BergerMech Rob View Post
    I didn't get much out of it, personally. It might be worthwhile if you have an active group in your city.

my membership is up soon and I will probably not renew it, no chapter in my area or other members that I know of.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

RSES is pricing itself out of business, the dues keep going up and up every year, the annual conference is up to $600+, I was a firm supporter of the organization and CM member but at this point I'm about to cancel my membership. there are way too many people profiting from it in exchange for a whole lot of nothing, is like a HVAC welfare system.

RSES is only as good as the local members. We had a great chapter, then we had a bad chapter, now we have no chapter. I wish we could get a GREAT one again. It was assume here years ago.

See who is involved first. They do have good service training books once your in.

For me it has been worthwhile. The training at some of the meetings has helped me remember things I don't use every day. They had a seminar called "WHO KILLED THE COMPRESSOR". The old timer that taught this class was very knowledgeable. I also like getting the monthly magazine "RSES JOURNAL". And I had to take the Certificate member test twice, but it made me realize how much I didn't know. And now I can put a CM after my name. If you have a good local chapter, it could be worth it. I have to confess though the first 3 years my employer paid for my membership. Now I gladly pay for it, but my kid's are grown and gone and money is not as tight as when I was younger. If you want more input check out Pro's Forum Education and Training, there is a thread with 35 replies from not that long ago.
    Last edited by Paul Bee; 09-24-2010 at 10:28 PM.
    Challenge yourself, take the CM test --- Certificate Member since 2004 ---Join RSES ---the HVAC/R training authority ---www.rses.org

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Bee View Post
    For me it has been worthwhile. The training at some of the meetings has helped me remember things I don't use every day. They had a seminar called "WHO KILLED THE COMPRESSOR". The old timer that taught this class was very knowledgeable. I also like getting the monthly magazine "RSES JOURNAL". And I had to take the Certificate member test twice, but it made me realize how much I didn't know. And now I can put a CM after my name. If you have a good local chapter, it could be worth it. I have to confess though the first 3 years my employer paid for my membership. Now I gladly pay for it, but my kid's are grown and gone and money is not as tight as when I was younger. If you want more input check out Pro's Forum Education and Training, there is a thread with 35 replies from not that long ago.
    Was it Garth Dennison? He came to my trade school and did a presentation on the phaseout of R-22 and how these new refrigerants have their downfalls.

That man is like the god of refrigeration. He didnt change compressors...he changed the ice blocks lol.
    Get money, get paid.

His name is John Clark but there are a lot of old timers who have forgotten more about this trade than I will ever know. After you know the basics it is all about 'time in the trenches and a good memory'.
    Challenge yourself, take the CM test --- Certificate Member since 2004 ---Join RSES ---the HVAC/R training authority ---www.rses.org

I joined to further my understanding of the science of HVAC...The training from what was my journeyman was pitiful. I may not have a local chapter but it looks as if i will get more training than i ever could with out them.

Do not worry Yellow, A good mind always survives and rises above BAD TRAINING!

In the past I was very active in RSES throughout my career.RSES was a very good deal and I enjoyed being part of it.Over the years It seemed the monthly magazine issues seemed to repeat the same articles. I was placed in a defunct chapter here in mass but attended meetings with the Boston chapter which eventually went away. All seminars began to repeat themselves with the same subject matter or nothing that interested me. When I ended my membership I never recieved any coorespondence from rses concerning why I left or if any thing would change my mind about rejoining. Quite frankly, the way the trade is, and the people in it , I have'nt the desire to rejoin. Maybe it's just me and I've been in this too long. I believe with more and more companies not promoting education of their employees has helped with the demise of organizations like rses. I hope I'm wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast