Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast

Smile Message to Homeowners/DIYer's:

Had two service calls a couple of days ago, same thing happened at both of them. Customer's thought they could fix their own furnaces. The first guy had come into our shop in the morning and purchased some pressure switches for his furnace. Later that afternoon I get the call to go and look at the furnace. I show up, check the operation and found the ignitor was bad. The LED's on the circuit board told me what the problem was. Not sure why the customer thought it was the pressure switches, but he wasn't even close.(guess he has some spare pressure switches for his furnace, because they go out all the time) Later that same day, I show up at a different house to find the secondary side of the trasformer was bad. After talking to the customer, I found out they had replaced the thermostat hoping to fix it.(because as we all know, it's always the thermostat) The point I'm trying to make is that some of you think we,(the pros) are giving you a hard time by telling you to when you're having problems. Yes, some of you may be mechanically inclined, but if you don't know the basic methods of troubleshooting, you're probably not going to fix it yourself. Both of these examples show how these customers actually spent more money trying to fix it themselves, than it would have cost to just have a pro come out first. Just some food for thought.

DIY stat changers are good for biz. Especially heat pump owners. They do like to fry transformers.

But the best illustration happened in Indy about 10 years ago. Local firm has a tech out on a Saturday and tells the HO the service switch on the side of the furnace is bad. HO chases tech away, says he'll fix himself. Wife wonders why it is taking so long, goes down the basement with its damp floor finds him dead, electrocuted. Sad story.

That is a very sad story.

Nominate for sticky!

[QUOTE=big sky hvac;7919691] The first guy had come into our shop in the morning and purchased some pressure switches for his furnace.

What are you doing selling him pressure switches to put in himself? Sounds like liability to me.

Don't worry. Wellhome will soon all the HVAC supply houses. Only Wellhome employees will be able to buy supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by aintitfun View Post
    The first guy had come into our shop in the morning and purchased some pressure switches for his furnace.

What are you doing selling him pressure switches to put in himself? Sounds like liability to me.
    Agree with this thread.

The liability issue is blown way out of proportion. Home depot or any hardware store will sell anyone electrical supplies, does not make them liable if the buyer hurts himself with them.

BTW Cody what is Wellhome?

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    BTW Cody what is Wellhome?
    Wellhome is a sales company.

Its product is "turn key home improvement". It acts as CG for work it subs out to its list of home improvement/HVAC companies.

The goal of Wellhome is to have all residential energy qualification work performed solely by BPI certified people, to the exclusion of resnet and any other previously acceptable qualifications a state might have had.

In addition, after successfully limiting the HVAC and home improvement contractors to those who are BPI certified, its goal is to prevent the sale of residential properties until they have been energy-qualified by BPI certified contractors.

All first level energy rebate amounts in NJ (currently $1500) are paid directly to Wellhome, not homeowners. They will test their own work to see if it qualifies for the rebate. They do not warrant that their work when completed will be satisfactory to qualify for any rebates. The homeowner, of course, is responsible to Wellhome financially regardless of whether the work qualifies.

The homeowner has to purchase home improvement packages from Wellhome. At this point Wellhome may not be able to restrict trade sufficiently that there is no option to have anyone else do the work. However, Wellhome is the retesting entity which determines if the work was "energystar" adequate.

Amen to this. I fix computers for a living and most people clearly lack the thought process necessary to accurately identify a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dk21 View Post
    Amen to this. I fix computers for a living and most people clearly lack the thought process necessary to pick up a phone and ask for assistance.

fixed for accuracy.

100% of the techs out there have called someone for knowledge or assistance. DYI's need to realize that its not a weakness to call, its a technical advantage.

[QUOTE=aintitfun;7924961]
    Quote Originally Posted by big sky hvac View Post
    The first guy had come into our shop in the morning and purchased some pressure switches for his furnace.

Agreed, no one gets our parts, unless they are paying us to put them in.

Quote Originally Posted by dk21 View Post
    Amen to this. I fix computers for a living and most people clearly lack the thought process necessary to accurately identify a problem.
    I know how to fix mine, it's a two step fail proof plan.

#1 Reboot

#2 If reboot does not work, throw unit out window, proceed to nearest computer sales outlet, purchase new computer.

Anyone wanna buy 38 slightly damaged....err...I mean slightly used computers.

Make sure you do the following or you might get hurt.

Don't cut your own grass.
    Clean your own house.
    Fix your own car.
    Fix anything in your house.
    Leave the couch for any reason.

You can buy the wrong part 3-4 times and still be less than a service call. If you get the right part the service tech never hears about it. You only hear about the ones where they got the wrong part.

Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast