Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Posts
    67

    Hmm Spiderwebs in Flues

    Has anyone had issues with this before? We are running across this in some of our Trane TUH1 furnaces. Any advice as to why this is happening?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,486
    where exactly is this spider web? I never heard of this but even if you had a web in the flue it would have to be pretty big to be an issue.
    I only drink a little, but when I do
    I turn into another person and THAT person drinks a lot

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    butler pa
    Posts
    1,073
    a spider web can STOP a trane ????

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Rapid City, SD
    Posts
    7,415
    I've seen them in pilot orifices before, and one gas meter, but never one big enough to block a flue.

    I'd approach that spider with caution, and either some strong chemical, or some sort of scooby doo treat for a spider to make friends with him! lol
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Hendersonville,NC
    Posts
    84
    Around here we have whats called orb weavers. their big suckers anywhere from 2/3 of an inch to an inch in length. I have seen em build webs about 6 feet in diameter. Imagine if that got into a flue pipe.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,486
    If you have a 6" B-vent flue, and it's blocking it. Take a flame thrower or maybe a RPG. I don't think a hammer is going to be adequate
    I only drink a little, but when I do
    I turn into another person and THAT person drinks a lot

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,486
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpogo View Post
    Around here we have whats called orb weavers. their big suckers anywhere from 2/3 of an inch to an inch in length. I have seen em build webs about 6 feet in diameter. Imagine if that got into a flue pipe.
    I was right, take a bazooka
    I only drink a little, but when I do
    I turn into another person and THAT person drinks a lot

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Urbandale IA. USA
    Posts
    4,962
    I have seen spider webs in PVC flue piping along with wasp nests.
    They slow the flow down to where the pressure sw is intermittent or non functional.

    ,
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,486
    Quote Originally Posted by cehs View Post
    I have seen spider webs in PVC flue piping along with wasp nests.
    They slow the flow down to where the pressure sw is intermittent or non functional.

    ,

    hell, I've pulled entire birds nests out of some flues.........with an egg in it

    anyone besides me use the "golf ball" test
    I only drink a little, but when I do
    I turn into another person and THAT person drinks a lot

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Urbandale IA. USA
    Posts
    4,962
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    hell, I've pulled entire birds nests out of some flues.........with an egg in it

    anyone besides me use the "golf ball" test
    I too have pulled bird nest and even a squirl (dead) out of metal flues.

    What is the "golf ball" test?
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Rapid City, SD
    Posts
    7,415
    That golf ball test is a test of your nerve and trust in the laws of physics.

    You drop a golf ball into the intake or exhaust, and it "should" roll down to the furnace. It'll stop if it hits something, finds a belly in the pipe or what ever.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Urbandale IA. USA
    Posts
    4,962
    I have contemplated using one of those dryer vent cleaning tools.

    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001R8F79S/...SIN=B001R8F79S

    .
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,486
    Quote Originally Posted by amickracing View Post
    That golf ball test is a test of your nerve and trust in the laws of physics.

    You drop a golf ball into the intake or exhaust, and it "should" roll down to the furnace. It'll stop if it hits something, finds a belly in the pipe or what ever.

    LOL I only use the golf ball test when I KNOW there is a really good slope to a vent pipe
    I only drink a little, but when I do
    I turn into another person and THAT person drinks a lot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event