Thread: combustion air

combustion air

at minus 10 celsius or 15 what is the opinion of having combustion air piped to a condensing furnace or from the room which is obviously room temp and if you say comb air from outside will the pipe sweat and should i insulate it.thanks for any comments.

what do the mfg's instructions have to say about it?
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by dandyme View Post
    what do the mfg's instructions have to say about it?
    What he said

We have our high efficency pull combustion air from outside and we get way below -10 in winter. No problem with pipe sweating ect. Its un-insulated as well.

If you're talking about combustion air for the furnace in the form of pvc attatched directly to the furnace, there is no need to insulate it. If you're drawing combustion air into a mechanical room via a 6" pipe, then yes I would insulate that for sure and probably snorkel it to slow down the rush of cold air entering the room.

thanks i will pipe it in since i will change existing abs for the proper 636 pipe since somebody installed it 2 years ago that way .

Going for a ride in the way back machine here...
    Back when I used to install furnaces, and we ran the intake and exhaust through a roof I always cut a tee in the intake and put a plug in there.

Only a few times did I have an intake freeze up, but I was sure glad there was a tee in there and I could pull the plug and run it like that for a day or 2 until it either melted open, or it was safe to get on the roof.

If it vents out the side of the house I don't care, because you can generally get to those to beat the ice off of them.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."