+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bldogett Oven Failures

Post Likes

Bldogett Oven Failures

We purchased four new Blodgett DFG-100-XCEL convection ovens back in 2006. From day one we have had problems. Our cooks place food in them, set the timers, and the cooking process starts. They come back later and the oven is cold. Opening the door and closing results in the units relighting. This leads me to belive the ignition control has been locked out for a flame problem. I tried new burner packages, new ignition contols, and new temperature controls, but one or more of the ovens is always out of service. I take care of 126 pieces of equipment in our kitchen; this is the only one I cannot resolve (and I believe Blodgett is a fine product name). Any ideas, PLEASE?

Post Likes
    What about a door switch issue, as they relight when you open and close the door. Opening the door opens the switch, which does start the firing process again, but only after the centrifugal switch on the convection fan closes. You probably need to sit on them during a cook cycle with your meter checking for power loss in different parts of the circuit (gas valve, transformer, etc.). Also look at the flame sensor for intermittant flame, gas pressure drop, weird drafts when a certain outside door is opened.

Post Likes
    4 ovens from day one seems unusual. check installation specs and exhaust hood/venting airflow. maybe too much air flow is pulling the flame away from the sensing probe.

Post Likes
    have you checked the incoming gas pressure? that is one that will get you, as it can drop with many difference equipment on at the same time.

I would also check theres a board, sorry forget the name that cuts out if the temperature does not raise in a certain amount of time.

tale switches are also problematic.

Jim.

the door switches also, highly, on my list for this type of problem.

Post Likes
    If, as you say, all 4 ovens have been trouble, then its probably not the ovens.

You didn't mention if when you changed parts the oven(s) worked for a given time.

LP or nat?

Line sizes, main line and each feed to oven?

Post Likes
    The DFG-100-XCEL has had a problem with flame sense on even new ovens. The burner lights from the right side and jumps from burner to burner until the flame sense at the left is finally approved. Many times the flame will not jump from burner to burner in the given time before lockout occurs. Since the red indicator light does not show ignition like the old DFG's you can't tell if you have heat. I found if you open the horizontal lines on the burner that light off the burner next to it just ever so lightly this will aid in proper ignition of the burner. Also make sure you have the newer redesigned flame sensor from Blodgett.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by EjBreeze View Post
    The DFG-100-XCEL has had a problem with flame sense on even new ovens. The burner lights from the right side and jumps from burner to burner until the flame sense at the left is finally approved. Many times the flame will not jump from burner to burner in the given time before lockout occurs. Since the red indicator light does not show ignition like the old DFG's you can't tell if you have heat. I found if you open the horizontal lines on the burner that light off the burner next to it just ever so lightly this will aid in proper ignition of the burner. Also make sure you have the newer redesigned flame sensor from Blodgett.
    eVER SO SLIGHTLY BEING THE OPERATIVE AND DEFINING PHRASE. Not everyone understands just how slightly that is, but I agree 100%.

Post Likes
    Pulled out all the stops.....installing new ignitors and wiring, new flame sensors and wiring, and lastly trashing the Johnson Control spark boxes. Will replace with Fenwal 35-60....I hear that is the cure; will post results in the near future

Post Likes

Talking Blodgett Closure

It has been a few weeks since I replaced the Johnson Controls spark boxes with the Fenwal upgrade.............they are now performing flawlessly! The JC controls input around .5 microamp; the Fenwals do around 3.0.

Post Likes
    Have you had any problems with the centrifugal switches inside the convention motors? My motors work fine but the switches keep going out on them.

Post Likes
    I had a switch go out this week. The switch is up against the back of the oven where it gets a lot of heat. Tell your customer to keep- the vents clean and if your motor shaft is long enough you can stand off the motor a bit further from the back.

Post Likes

Blodgett Follow-Up & Closure

After years of frustration and endless complaints from cooks, the ovens are now fault free. The secret is in the new spark box....end of story.

I have never had a centrifugal switch go out, by the way.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    If you need to tag it, there's a nifty 2 part repair tag out. But you might want to get a coupon code before you buy any. seatonproducts.com has a list of seton codes for it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in