Thread: to Honeywell or not to Honeywell???

Post Likes

Hmm

I'm a former HVAC Mechanic. I wanted to get into controls and applied at Johnson, Trane, Siemen, Honeywell, and a local Staefa Dealer. The only one to call me was the local Staefa Dealer. I've been with them for 3wks now. I love it. They have been really good to me. Great benefits.

I just got an email from Honeywell. They want to talk to me. Should I call them up to see what they had in mind? Does any one work for Honeywell?

Post Likes
    I myself have not worked for honeywell. But several of my friends used to. Key is used to, they all work for different companies now. Two were mechanical contractors and 2 worked in the contols side. They all say they were glad when they left as honeywell in Oklahoma is not the company they were 3 or 4 years ago.

Post Likes
    Same here, the people I know that left HW are much happier since they did.
    To much work with too little time!!!!

Post Likes
    I personally would never deny a request to talk. You never know what they might offer. That's how I got this new gig last year.

Post Likes
    What I can't stand about Honeywell is that they change their direction about every three months.

Honeywell has bad management. From the top. Bad.

I'd talk to them, but I'd be cautious about a move, especially to a branch, where things could change in 3 months time.

Post Likes

don't .....

the Honeywell branch 'round here isn't even really in the mechanical / controls biz anymore ... strictly fire alarm ...and not much of that

Post Likes
    I spent 5 years doing controls for HW and have never regretted leaving.I have a couple of friends still there and they don't like it either.In fact they are non existant here now where I moved other than there security division, I think they are happy selling parts as they are so over priced on controls they can't compete.

Post Likes
    worked for honeywell for ten plus years. until about 93 or 94 they were really good to work for. then some vice president started following all the visions of the manufacturing segment and trying to integrate them into the hvac biz. what followed what a complete disruption of their business, followed by more legendary visions, which dug them deeper holes. their strategy over the most recent years seems to change about every six months( this seems to coinside with the departure of yet another vice president of something or other). they never really figured out how to get back to their core business which was(used to be) providing a top of the line controls solution for high end customers, then keeping them locked up for back end service for many years to come. lately they have started hiring people to go in and "fix" the problem on a branch by branch basis. they really arent fixing anything, but rather they are mostly agreeing with the long time employees as to what is wrong, and kinda hand holding them to try to retain those good ones until a permanent solution can be found. most of the hierarchy is built on the buddy system and they cant really figure out where the blame lies. i probably would still interview with them, get your face in front of them and let them know that this isnt the right time for you because you just started with the other guys, but to feel free to call you in the future.

Post Likes

yea ......

i'm ex H-well too ..... quit in '81

Post Likes

to Honeywell or not to Honeywell???

I have been with Honeywell since 1972 and will retire 12/04. Worked as a fitter/tech since 1988. I have been
    lucky to work for managers that allowed and expected individual and personal responsibility, i.e: Take care of the customers problems,and do the paperwork (now wireless).
    Be reliable,dependable use common sense. And the pay was always there.
    They have provided,truck,uniforms,tools and countless chances to do a job I would have been "Dumber than Dirt" not to appreciate.
    The man who interviewed me(now deceased)fought to hire me even though other applicants were more qualified. I was the first to show up for the interview.
    I am trying to say it has been very rewarding working for Honeywell. I wanted to learn and earn.
    Go for the interview,be open and receptive. Good Luck
    "AND NEVER BURN YOUR BRIDGES"

Post Likes
    Thanks for all your replies. I think I will call Honeywell just to see what they have to say.

Boy, this control thing is awsome, n a whole new world.

Post Likes

comfortmaster1

This Industry is sometimes very small indeed. You took the Staefa job in good faith and they would more than likely expect you to stay. If Honeywell and Staefa find you doing this, one will not hire you and the other may just fire you knowing you are a traveller.
    Most companies at least expect loyalty if they treat you right. If not, then all is fair game. In 40 some years I have been around, this Industry has not changed that much when it comes to working for large companies.
    None of my business what you do, just thought I would mention the downside.
    Good luck to you.

Post Likes
    I don't think loyalty is involved anymore,twcpipes...
    That was then,this is now.There is no loyalty from corporate America.I work for the big red H too.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by acman17
    I don't think loyalty is involved anymore,twcpipes...
    That was then,this is now.There is no loyalty from corporate America.I work for the big red H too.
    i didn't think we hired ex-cons,you must have slipped by the security checks--

Post Likes

ZZZZZZZZZZZ'

I worked for HW as a controls tech for 4 years starting in 1980 and it was a good place then. The a/c mechanics were seriously talented guys. In 2000 I again joined HW but as an a/c mechanic and again the guys were real pro's, I quit after 9 months. The job is not repairing anything, is rarely installing anything, it's selling parts, equipment and maintenance agreements. Honeywell is so expensive that one rarely has to concern himself about actually doing any of his proposed work. The client would usually take your very correct numbers and get someone cheaper to do it. The management pushes sales constantly and most of the legion of paperwork is directly related to sales, this is monitored very closely. Those that fall short are brought in for 'a chat'. Vancouver's HW branch A/C service department is run by a plumber, with the expected results.
    If you really enjoy being a mechanic as I do you should probably stay away. You'll have the best vehicle, the best equipment and tools, you just won't ever use them.

Post Likes
    Ok Comfortmaster, let me tell you about Honeywell here in my area. I'm an apprentice in a UA local in the southeast. I worked for Honeywell for three and a half months as a service tech and believe me, that was all it took to see where the company was headed. The controls side was non union and the service side was union which was not a problem. However, they are concerned with nothing more than spinning wheels. The contracts are a joke, the project managers are salesmen not engineers or fromer techs. The Honeywell controls are seldom encountered here in the ATL, mainly Trane Tracer Summit, Siemens, Johnson's Metasys, and sometimes Carrier CCN. I now work for one of the top 25 mechanical contractors in the nation and am loving every minute of it. When I put my notice in with Honeywell, they tried to counter with a matching pay offer and vacation incentive. I declined simply because their offer was a day late and a dollar short. Up front I was told I could only be paid our union scale and not a penny more with no vacation until after 1 year. When I gave my notice, the money was being put in my lap from every direction. At that point I realized that I wasn't Honeywell material. If you value your work, your abilities, and enjoy using your mind and hands-- pass up the interview and enjoy what you already have. The grass is seldom greener on the other side of the fence.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in