+ Reply to Thread

Thread: meters

Post Likes

meters

switching from mechanical service/control install repair, to just controls service. I am looking for a new meter it has been a long time coming, any suggestions

thanks

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Wow, I didn't know they had a remote display model. That could be really handy.

Post Likes
    From memory when I checked into the remote display it did not do mA's.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    My 5 yr old son "Dad, Siri is not very smart when there's no internet."

Post Likes
    >Wow, I didn't know they had a remote display model. That could be really handy.

Keep in mind it's twice the batteries also.

I like Fluke.

Anything with, dc MA, LoZ voltage on top of the standard stuff will cover just about anything you will work on.

Post Likes
    What's the extent of service you're doing? You'll need a scope meter to do troubleshooting on VSDs.

Uses are explained here:
    http://assets.fluke.com/AppNotes/Ele...r/GO416b_u.pdf

If you don't deal with industrial stuff, 116 is HVAC catered meter with uA DC function.
    902 is a true RMS responding clamp meter with V, uA DC and temp probe option.

If you need to measure current, I'd go with 902

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanHas View Post
    What's the extent of service you're doing? You'll need a scope meter to do troubleshooting on VSDs.

Uses are explained here:
    http://assets.fluke.com/AppNotes/Ele...r/GO416b_u.pdf

If you don't deal with industrial stuff, 116 is HVAC catered meter with uA DC function.
    902 is a true RMS responding clamp meter with V, uA DC and temp probe option.

If you need to measure current, I'd go with 902

But the 902 can not measure resistance over 9999 Ohms

Kevin

Controls is a lifestyle not a job

Post Likes
    Fluke Model 1587... I love mine..

It's the way to go if you're working on VFD's.. It has a motor insulation test function thats done well for me when it comes to very arrogant electricians who think every wire they pull is perfect.

Also has a lo-pass filter for measuring the actual motor voltage on a VFD output.

Fluke 1587 well worth the money.
    In case of malfunction-Reconnect brain BEFORE starting mouth.

Post Likes
    thanks all. i am not 100% sure what i need yet. i have a fluke 16 and another fluke basic clamp on amp meter. neither does mili amps, which i need one to do that. was looking at the fluke 87 with the temperature probe, so i can have one that does most thinks. also want to go into the high ohm range, my clamp on only goes to 1000 ohms, drives me crazy at times. the 16 is better on ohms, but dont really want to carry 3 meters all the time. saw a klien one at home depot, was a lot cheaper than fluke, but not sure how the quality is, i am figuring you get what you pay for.

Post Likes
    It is unlikely that you will find one meter that will do everything you need. Regarding temperature measurements, you are better off getting a high quality thermometer only device, regular multi-meters will not give you the accurate readings you will need in controls work. Read up on the differences between thermocouples and thermistors and find out which one is most accurate for your application.

Kevin

Controls is a lifestyle not a job

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by klrogers View Post
    But the 902 can not measure resistance over 9999 Ohms

Kevin
    Fluke purpose-catered meters are designed with inputs from users so you can get to what you want very easily. The 902, unlike common DMMs, doesn't have separate uA/mA terminals. Perhaps they only have the range go up to 10kohm, because that's adequate for most HVAC techs' tasks?

Auto Pilot, the 1587 doesn't have graphical output, so you won't be able to see glitches, sags, swells, etc.

Post Likes
    Ican...
    Ya.. I know 1587 has some limits.. But, I also have a Fluke scopemeter and I just got a Fluke 289 with the graphical display and logging for the real problem child units I come across.

The Fluke 289 has a neat feature that allows you to see two different metered values on the display at the same time. IE. Voltage on the top and frequency on the bottom.

I'm still learning how to use all features it has. This meter is definitely NOT for beginners or wana-be techs.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoPilot View Post
    Ican...
    Ya.. I know 1587 has some limits.. But, I also have a Fluke scopemeter and I just got a Fluke 289 with the graphical display and logging for the real problem child units I come across.

The Fluke 289 has a neat feature that allows you to see two different metered values on the display at the same time. IE. Voltage on the top and frequency on the bottom.

I'm still learning how to use all features it has. This meter is definitely NOT for beginners or wana-be techs.
    289 is more or less the same as 189, except it lets you see captured info in more details on the field rather than on the computer. It still does not have ability to do trend analysis, swell, sag, glitch or scope function critical for VSD diagnostics.

Post Likes
    Ican.. This thread is about meters.

What meter do you use for trend analysis, swell, sag and glitch problems?

Quote Originally Posted by ICanHas View Post
    289 is more or less the same as 189, except it lets you see captured info in more details on the field rather than on the computer. It still does not have ability to do trend analysis, swell, sag, glitch or scope function critical for VSD diagnostics.
    With the newer VFD technology I very rarely use my scope any more. If its having any kind of goofy problems I just send it back and get a new one. It's way more efficient on my time and the customers wallet.

I think the only time I use my scope anymore is when I'm servicing or working on some old Graham model 1580 SCR inverters i still service. Mean machines 20+ years old and still crankin'. Have to go out and change some cooling fans or a chopper hockey puck scr every now and then.

Post Likes
    Fluke 289 is what I use also. I like it, but for the money the Fluke 189 I had before never let me down or left in a spot where I could not troubleshoot anything I was working on.

Post Likes
    I had a Fluke 116 for about a month. The day I found out it wouldn't do mA I swapped it for the 115. I really like the 115 for an everyday general meter. The magnet/strap accessory is a must have IMO.

This may sound strange but I still carry my Amprobe RS-3 Ultra in the Van. I comes in real handy for trouble shooting motors and VFD's. The Simpson 260 is still on the shelf in the garage and I have to break it out a couple times a year. Thats because none of my meters have the Lo-Z feature (yet).

Most of the rest of my meters somehow ended up being Fluke (32, 52-2,87).

I carried a UEI DM-383 or a TPI-133 for many years. They were inexpensive enough that I didn't worry about then growing legs but they still got the job done. Sort of a "Disposable Meter".
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !
    You cannot protect the Stupid from themselves !
    "Experience is the ability to recognize a mistake Before you make it again!" (Stolen Quote)

Post Likes
    I have a Fluke meter and amprobe that the shop gave me originally but since then I've added these myself...............

I bought a Fluke 87V earlier this year for vfd troubleshooting and have used it once, lots of options and ranges, need to spend some time reading the manual to learn more about it.

I bought a Fluke 771 ma clamp meter when they first came out, even though I've only used it a handful of times I really like it.

I also bought the Fluke 922 Airflow meter kit shortly after it came out. We do alot of building pressurization work and I can tell you that this meter has really been indispensable and I dont know what I would do without it, I have not used it on a Vav box yet though.
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in