+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mri chillers

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by selfemployed View Post
    To many rads for your nads is not good.
    definitely the Quote of the week!!!!!!!!!!
    Sig removed by mod. G-Rated site

Post Likes

Resurrection

The 9 year old thread resurrected ... still good reading! Have a Great Saturday everyone :-)

Post Likes
    "To many rads for your nads is not good."

Quote Originally Posted by MikeySq View Post
    definitely the Quote of the week!!!!!!!!!!
    Could be your new sig line Mikey.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Post Likes
    95% of my jobs are MR. Its a great field if you have a complete understanding of what goes on beyond the chiller.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pherman View Post
    "To many rads for your nads is not good."

Could be your new sig line Mikey.
    I kinda dig the Big-Brother one haha
    Sig removed by mod. G-Rated site

Post Likes
    I dunno, my nads got rads for years, and I still had a couple kids afterwards...

Post Likes
    I work in the field of test and balance of HVAC systems and have a few questions pertaining to MRI plumbing systems. In my testing, I am task with providing process chilled water to the MRI equipment and wanted to know where the water goes once it enters the MRI machine.

1. What parts of the MRI does this process chilled water serve?
    2. What temperature is expected from the process chilled water?
    3. Are/Is there internal bypass control devices in the process chilled water piping for low demand operation?
    4. How long can an MRI's process chilled water be turned off before it becomes a critical issue?
    5. Is city water Ok to use as a backup in the event the tempered process water goes down?
    6. How long can the MRI operate on city water before it becomes a critical issue?
    7. Does city water need to be filtered and treated prior to entering the MRI machine?

thanks,
    clacy

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by clacy View Post
    I work in the field of test and balance of HVAC systems and have a few questions pertaining to MRI plumbing systems. In my testing, I am task with providing process chilled water to the MRI equipment and wanted to know where the water goes once it enters the MRI machine.

3. Are/Is there internal bypass control devices in the process chilled water piping for low demand operation?
    4. How long can an MRI's process chilled water be turned off before it becomes a critical issue?
    5. Is city water Ok to use as a backup in the event the tempered process water goes down?
    6. How long can the MRI operate on city water before it becomes a critical issue?
    7. Does city water need to be filtered and treated prior to entering the MRI machine?

thanks,
    clacy
    In the systems I've worked with, the chilled water provided to the MRI equipment is essentially condensing water for the cryo chiller that keeps the superconductor's helium shield cool. Typically, the water simply flows at a fixed rate through the condenser, and the cryo chiller will cycle as needed to maintain helium temp.

As far as water quality requirements, you'd have to direct that to the manufacturer (GE, or whomever).

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by clacy View Post

thanks,
    clacy

1. What brand of magnet and what heat exchanger configuration do you have?

2. Temperature is specified by manufacture, GE and Siemens is 46F, Philips is 50F.

3. According to the heat exchange they have.

4. Most will shut down the gradient coil and amps, then alarm when flow from chiller stops, cold head compressor for helium gas will overheat and shut down.

5. City water will only keep the cold head compressor running.

6. It will not scan on city water.

Everything I posted is just to give a general ideal, to may variables in you questions.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    I haven't worked on any, but the mobil MRI unit at the Orthopedist's office I went to a while back has liquid helium as the primary coolant for the MRI magnets and liquid nitrogen to keep the helium in a liquid state. There's a secondary R22 chilled water system for cooling the cabinet frame and facings and then a package DX A/C to cool the space......all in a 40 ft semi-trailer out back.

[Edited by icemeister on 11-14-2004 at 05:42 PM]

Correct with the He as a refrigerant.

These systems have a permanent magnet that generates tremendous heat & this is what the He is trying to strip.

Keeping a head temp of inbetween 3-4K is what some manufactures will want. Systems also have a quench button that drops the entire He charge which could be 1millon dollars if any thing gets stuck in the magnet ,,, this of course renders the magnet useless & the machine.

Have a look at YouTube for some quench videos.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6BBx8BwLhqg
    The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the fabricator and impossible for the serviceman.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in