+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HVAC pipe leaking

Post Likes

HVAC pipe leaking

Hello:

One of the exhausts pipes of the HVAC system in my garage appears to be leaking. There is a PVC pipe that comes out of the HVAC and is not connected to anything. It was just left as if it was a drain out pipe. Everyone once in a while it sort of drips water. Normally I figured it was due to condensation. A couple of days ago I noticed that there was a whole trail of water coming out of the pipe to the entrance of the garage (the HVAC sits at the very back of the garage). When I checked it, it had continuous water dripping from it. I put a bucket under it and kept an eye on it. The same day I had to empty the bucket twice (2 gallon bucket). Yesterday and today, there is just a bit of water at the bottom of the bucket so not much water coming out of the pipe. My neighbor had mentioned that he though the pipe was an auxiliary to the main pipe in the HVAC and that it should only drip water if there is something wrong on the main pipe (ie. clugged up). My questions are:

1. Is this pipe that is sticking really a 'backup' PVC pipe that should not really not be dripping regularly?
    2. The HVAC system is about 6 years old, is this 'clugging' a common problem? what can cause it and how can I prevent it?
    3. How serious can this be? and how much could it cost me?
    4. is there anything I need to be aware of when the HVAC guys comes out to take a look at it so that they don't pull a fast one on me?

Thanks,

Post Likes
    pictures are worth a thousand words. And quick advice on this forum.

Post Likes
    It sounds like the axillary drain. It's job is to swing into action when the primary drain fails.

More than likely, your main drain system is just clogged. After 6 years, your unit is probably very dirty and in need of some regular maintenance. Have your HVAC guy come out and give it a thorough cleaning and service. Price discussion is not allowed, but this probably won't be too costly.

Definitely don't let it go this way. You could cause rust or mold in your HVAC unit, and even damage to your home. Get a pro out to get the unit back shipshape.

Post Likes

hard to see what you're seeing; from here
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GarageGuy69 View Post
    Hello:

One of the exhausts pipes of the HVAC system in my garage appears to be leaking. There is a PVC pipe that comes out of the HVAC and is not connected to anything. It was just left as if it was a drain out pipe. Everyone once in a while it sort of drips water. Normally I figured it was due to condensation. A couple of days ago I noticed that there was a whole trail of water coming out of the pipe to the entrance of the garage (the HVAC sits at the very back of the garage). When I checked it, it had continuous water dripping from it. I put a bucket under it and kept an eye on it. The same day I had to empty the bucket twice (2 gallon bucket). Yesterday and today, there is just a bit of water at the bottom of the bucket so not much water coming out of the pipe. My neighbor had mentioned that he though the pipe was an auxiliary to the main pipe in the HVAC and that it should only drip water if there is something wrong on the main pipe (ie. clugged up). My questions are:

1. Is this pipe that is sticking really a 'backup' PVC pipe that should not really not be dripping regularly?
    2. The HVAC system is about 6 years old, is this 'clugging' a common problem? what can cause it and how can I prevent it?
    3. How serious can this be? and how much could it cost me?
    4. is there anything I need to be aware of when the HVAC guys comes out to take a look at it so that they don't pull a fast one on me?Thanks,
    Sorry we can't answer your question. We would be putting a damper on the fast one that we pull on people.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Post Likes

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Milk man View Post
    Sorry we can't answer your question. We would be putting a damper on the fast one that we pull on people.
    Too funny!

Post Likes
    What kind of fast ones do you guys pull as a rule?

I use the old *do my best and pretend it was my home I was working in*

Post Likes
    k_fridge:

Thank-you for your reply.
    I will get some pictures today just to make sure I expalined it properly.

Everyone else:
    I certainly didn't mean to degrade your profession or to insinuate that all HVAC folks are dishonest, however there are dishonest people out there regardless of what they do for a job and I wanted to make sure that I had some guidance as to what the issue may be and what will need to get done to fix it.

I'll get a shot of the unit which should make it easier to figure out.
    Thanks!

Post Likes
    GarageGuy69,

I'd like to ask your advice as a customer, what sort of tricks do you guys like to pull on tradesmen? What should ring an alarm bell? How do i avoid being shafted?

With your problem i would say its likley to get more expensive to fix the longer you leave it.

Cheers,

Monkey

Post Likes
    It sounds like the axillary drain. It's job is to swing into action when the primary drain fails.
    I hate when axillary drain pans swing. they always seem to splash water everywhere then. LOL...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I hate when axillary drain pans swing. they always seem to splash water everywhere then. LOL...
    I think I've been watching too many Chuck Norris movies.

Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!
    Post Likes
    The trick with pulling a fast one is that if you pull it fast enough the customer doesn't see it and thinks you are an honest contactor. So the moral of this story is always pull your fast ones fast, because pulling them slow is dishonest.

Post Likes
    This is the image of the pipe that I was talking about. Notice how it just seems to stick out of the HVAC unit. It didn't use to drip but it is now. I put a bucket under it so that the water it wouldn't run all over the garage, I have to empty it about once a day now.

Is it an auxiliary pipe then? how serious could it be?

Post Likes
    Yeah you're main drain port is probably clogged up. Call a company to come out and clean the coil and pan.

Post Likes
    Thank-you.
    That was exactly the problem. I had someone com out and fix it.
    The guy was actually very helpful and truly professional.

thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in