Need Info to Purchase New Unit

Bought house and old TempStar using R-22 is biting dust. I've never made a major HVAC purchase- Need advice on brands. I Live in Coastal South Texas. High Humidity & Heat and Saltwater air. I'm considering Amana- any other company's ya'll can recommend that do well in this kind of environment?- Limited funding because also have to replace leaking roof (12 inches of rain in past 3 days- Still Raining). All advice is appreciated and needed.Thank You
    [/FONT]
    Last edited by Coastal Life; 09-19-2010 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Bad Font

change your font..that one u have is difficult to read. (thank you for changing it)

i am not a residential guy...but most of what u should be looking for is a quality/proper install not just brand name
    Last edited by yellowirenut; 09-19-2010 at 06:19 PM.

There are ODU's which stand up to salt air better and there are techniques that can extend the life of the unit in a coastal area. If getting an extended mfg's warranty be sure that it will cover use in a coastal area.

Ok- I'll make sure- Goodman/ Amana is based in Houston- coastal area- hopefully they will honor warranty in Coastal areas.

New to this city- but I will try to find a good yet reasonable installer.

Just ask and read, trust but verify. Take a more critical eye of the contractor than the equipment. Do some leg work before walking your fingers.
    If you look at some of one of our members, Skippedover, has to say in this post, you'll have a good start.
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showpost.ph...31&postcount=4

But listen to what they have to say about corrosion, it is important in your area.

Install is the key. Check your contractor out and get a couple of estimate. Go with the one that you think will do a good job.

Yes- the Tempstar R-22 is HEAVILY corroded. I think it's a 12 SEER. I would like to go 16 SEER- but don't think I can afford it. The house is 2500 sq ft with 500 of it as an upstairs bed & bath. Mostly brick- 1/3 of is vinyl siding. I think it has average to moderate insulation.

for a coastal/salt water environment, Trane or Am Standard.

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Life View Post
    Bought house and old TempStar using R-22 is biting dust. I've never made a major HVAC purchase- Need advice on brands. I Live in Coastal South Texas. High Humidity & Heat and Saltwater air. I'm considering Amana- any other company's ya'll can recommend that do well in this kind of environment?- Limited funding because also have to replace leaking roof (12 inches of rain in past 3 days- Still Raining). All advice is appreciated and needed.Thank You
    [/FONT]
    If you want real control of the indoor humidity, include a 90 pint whole house dehumidifier connected to your a/c ducts. The dehu will keep your home <50%RH during the many days of cool damp weather when the a/c will run enough to remove the 5-8 gals. of moisture from infiltration and occupant activity. Ultra-Aire/Honeywell/Rheem/Goodman are common brands of WH dehumidifier.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"