Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Biasi B-10 vs. Buderus G115: which one?

We're trying to decide between the Buderus G115SW/3 and the Biasi B-10/4.

They appear to be basically the same technology and nearly identical AFUE efficiency ratings. The net outputs are a little different, but both should be fine for our home. The differences we see are: Biasi is a bit lighter and has a lower water capacity by 4 gallons. It also seems to have a better warranty, though I can't find specifics on that... only heard it described as non-prorated limited lifetime, and maybe even transferable to new owners. The Buderus is heavier, has a higher water content, looks sexier , and has a limited, prorated, non-transferable warranty. It is also about $ more.

Which would you choose? We like the Buderus because it has such good name recognition and looks cool... but that's not worth$ unless it really is a better boiler. Is it??? (Maybe it is a selling point when we sell the house in 4 years?)

FWIW either one will be installed with an outdoor reset, indirect HWH, in a forced hot water baseboard system in Maine.
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-18-2010 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Price

How did you end up with those as your two choices? How is the water being used, baseboard, radiant, fan coil?

We got proposals from several people, and most offered us either Biasi or Buderus. (One offered a Pensotti, which has good specs and price but we just can't get past that little Supermario logo on it!) Most of these guys say they're apples-to-apples... basically the same. They say they install both and like both. So... no help there!

This is for a forced-hot-water baseboard system (a mix of new Slant Fin and old 50's cast iron) and indirect hot water heater.

Both would have an outdoor reset, too (Taco or Tekmar)

Thanks!

P.S. Sorry about posting pricing earlier! I forgot about that rule.

Your choice in Maine is between a German and an Italian condensing boiler? Triangle Tube has 11 distributors in Maine; Weil McLain has a regional sales office there. They and Peerless have dozens of installers.

In forced air their are several large players (York, Trane, Carrier, Lennox, Goodman, Rheem) and a some smaller ones, all domestic. They sell the complete system. In boilers there are large number of manufacturers, many foreign, with all the supporting equipment coming from third parties.

To the best of my knowledge there are no comparisons of design differences between boilers, very few technicians who have worked on different brands of the latest models, and little overall reliability info.

I would look to the what the importation and distribution channel looks like. I'd ask the installers what other brands they carry and why they chose that model.

You can also get a few more quotes. The Peerless, Weil-McLain, Triangle Tube, NTI, Lochnivar,Viessmann, Munchkin, etc. websites should all lead to installers than handle there equipment near you. Often the recommendations of different installers may point out issues you may not have considered yet.

Both are excellent choices. Personal preference is the Biasi with a Beckett NX burner and a Tekmar 260 boiler control. Both units have a very strong northeast presence.....so warranty issues shouldn't be a problem. If you're looking for an American equivalent try the Peerless Pro series. Is it chimney vent or direct vent?

Quote Originally Posted by coryc View Post
    Both are excellent choices. Personal preference is the Biasi with a Beckett NX burner and a Tekmar 260 boiler control. Both units have a very strong northeast presence.....so warranty issues shouldn't be a problem. If you're looking for an American equivalent try the Peerless Pro series. Is it chimney vent or direct vent?
    Why do you prefer the Biasi, why change the burner or does it come with that burner, and isn't the Beckett NX an oil burner?

Thanks all.

The Biasi is spec'd with a Riello burner and Tekmar outdoor reset. (coryc, it is chimney vent) (DavidNJ, this is an oil-fired system.)

The Buderus is spec'd with a Riello F-3 burner, and Taco outdoor reset in one case, and Tekmar in the other.

cory, can you tell us why you prefer the Biasi over the Buderus? For what its worth, the Buderus seems to be pretty popular here in the Portland Maine area, since ALL of the contracters we've seen have mentioned it. I doubt finding techs or parts would be an issue (F.W. Webb is local.) Last night we were thinking that for resale, the Buderus might have an edge, just 'cause it has that "oooh, wow, fancy high-efficiency boiler" reputation... even if it IS basically the same as the Biasi. What do you think? Not worth the extra money?

Buderus G115's with Riello burners have been a bit touchy the last few years. They have had spec changes constantly (ie. tube insertion depth, nozzle size and pump pressure changes). Riello in the Biasi is a wonderful choice. I simply use Beckett's b/c around here not many techs are comfortable with Riellos. We did however just finish a Biasi SG4 with Riello F5 burner install. Since you'd be using an aftermarket outdoor reset anyway and not a Logmatic (Buderus own ODR), save the money and use a Biasi. 115's with F3's could be slightly problematic......but if that is what your contractors are recommending trust them.

Go with the contractor you trust, if you're looking for efficiency and domestic hot water, I like the system 2000.

I also like the Solaia, which is a different version of the Biasi, and am a bigger fan of Beckett and Carlin burners than Riellos. though there is nothing wrong with Riello burners, I just don't see that many of them.

http://www.energykinetics.com/index.shtml

Buderus

I would choose the Buderus. The USA factory is in Londonderry NH, as a tradesman, I feel comfortable knowing that parts are more than plentiful. I also like the fact that there is more water content to them. Coupled with a good control strategy you will get a higher SYSTEM efficiency. Every burner/boiler manufacturer touts its AFUE efficiency, but that is only good information if the SYSTEM is efficient.

I would also suggest that you look into the Buderus GB125BE or the G125BE. They are both over 90% efficient, oil boilers that qualify for the federal tax credit. You would get a lot more bang for your buck with that tax credit. There may also be state rebates available as well. I know in NH you can get up to $2500 in tax credits/rebates.

I have installed Pinsotti, Solai, and Biasi boilers and the only one I don't care for is the Solai. The only real reason for that is the fact that they only use a 1/2" of insulation, glued to the boiler jacket. The jacket does not seal off the cast iron to the surrounding environment. The Buderus jacket is sealed and they use 3" of insulation surrounding the block. That translates into more heat transferring to the boiler water.

Good luck....Who are the contractors that you are talking to ?

Thank you, dynamic...

We did look into the higher efficiency Buderuses, however we only have about $300 left of the tax credit, since we added a bunch of insulation and new windows. So it's mostly an out-of-pocket upgrade for us, and not recoverable in the 4 years we'll own the house (though... in the next house we'll definitely go that route if not even more efficient!)

We're speaking with Pine State, Downeast, and a couple of smaller local HVAC guys.

What's your thought on the higher water content being better? We realized that was a difference between the Biasi and Buderus but couldn't understand which was better, lower or higher water content...

Quote Originally Posted by staceyneil View Post
    Thank you, dynamic...

We did look into the higher efficiency Buderuses, however we only have about $300 left of the tax credit, since we added a bunch of insulation and new windows. So it's mostly an out-of-pocket upgrade for us, and not recoverable in the 4 years we'll own the house (though... in the next house we'll definitely go that route if not even more efficient!)

We're speaking with Pine State, Downeast, and a couple of smaller local HVAC guys.

What's your thought on the higher water content being better? We realized that was a difference between the Biasi and Buderus but couldn't understand which was better, lower or higher water content...
    Try Harvey at Aire Serv of Southern Maine 207-727-5111
    He does the best installations I have ever seen and loves Buderus. tell him Brian from Connecticut told you to call. He will tell you what burner to use for reliable.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast