Thread: Can the Honeywell AIQ TH8000 stat run a Venmar 4100?

Post Likes

Can the Honeywell AIQ TH8000 stat run a Venmar 4100?

Firstly, I hope this is in the correct forum. If not, plz move it, or alert me and I'll delete it and repost it in the forum specified.

I had a ground source heat pump installed this summer, using a Lennox 95% efficient furnace as a backup/air handler for the 4 ton Waterfurnace Split. The split and furnace are controlled by a Honeywell TH8000 AIQ stat, with a remote temp sensor mounted outside the house.

When the system was installed, I was told that the stat would control the installed equipment, AND a humidifier and a venmar 4100 ventilator. I'm looking into getting the Venmar operational, and now I am being told by my Geothermal contractor's tech. that the Venmar needs to be controlled by the supplied Venmar control, and that it can't be controlled by my Honeywell stat.

Supposedly, this is because the venmar control allows for the unit to be set to stop the exchange of inside/outside air if the temps get too cold in winter or hot in summer, and the Honeywell stat doesn't have the ability to control the Venmar in this manner. The supplied venmar control does. (this is a 4 wire control).

Assuming my question is clearly stated, does this sound correct to the informed sources on this board? My impression is that the Venmar 4100 is new enough that not many people have them in an installation using GEO split systems with a Honeywell IAQ stat.

Please advise,

Thanks!@
    Last edited by vespadaddy; 09-13-2010 at 09:38 PM.

Post Likes
    First of all welcome.

This would probably be better answered in the residential forum, but it sounds like to me simple OAT High & Low Lockouts to open the circuit to the Venmar 4100 and the IAQ could still be used. I haven't worked with the Venmar unit described, I am just surmising.

This is not a DIY site, but by the detailed explanation something tells me you should post a bit more about your background and also your general climate location so this can be answered better. I tried checking your profile, but there is really no information there either. I am requesting this thread be moved to residential.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    My 5 yr old son "Dad, Siri is not very smart when there's no internet."

Post Likes
    Thanks for the reply. Hopefully, a MOD will move this thread, if this isn't the best forum to get answers.

I'm aware that this isn't a DIY board, and I want to point out that I'm not asking for DIY assistance, but simply asking if anyone knows if the venmar 4100 can be controlled by the Honeywell AIQ system, or not, while still enjoying full functionality of the venmar. As I stated previously, the tech. from the geothermal company claims the IAQ can't run the venmar, but the sales guy from the GEO company assured me it could. I would like the opinion of other HVAC pros to help guide my decision making process.

I am in Mpls, MN, so we have bitterly cold days in the winter, and hot, humid days in the summer. I'm hoping to use the venmar for a combination of reduced pollen pollution indoors (the 4100 has a HEPA filter), as well as keeping the air in the entire house fresh. I think that these controls may have been designed with an intent to control humidity, but I'm not sure. I know that the 4100 DOES have an incoming temp sensor on the fresh incoming air duct. There are also damper flappers that can close off the fresh air duct (I state this because I don't know if this is common to most other Venmar's.).

Thanks!
    Last edited by vespadaddy; 09-13-2010 at 09:46 PM. Reason: clarification, added more info.

Post Likes
    No problem. I would think your climate you would really only need the low OAT lockout. You may want a high as well, but more so based on your wet-bulb temp, higher temp and humidity then lockout.

Also the clarification is great - it will likely gain you more valid responses.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform

Post Likes
    Thanks for the reply again. Does anyone have direct experience with this model of venmar and this stat?

Post Likes
    The Venmar should have a defrost cycle where it recycles interior air. I believe that is internal to the system. Carrier connects the Venmars to their ICS system and they are sold as the Broan line in the US.

Post Likes
    I'm not positive, but I suspect that the 40 min recirc and HEPA filtering, then 20 min air exchange w/ HEPA filtering is dictated by the wall control, not the Venmar unit itself.

I'm waiting for a callback from the subcontractor that installed the furnace and AIQ, but I'm surprised no one here has direct experience with this stat and venmar model. Is it that new?

Post Likes
    It has an internal temp sensor and the defrost settings seem to be set via dip switches.

Post Likes
    It does have an internal temp sensor that reads the temp of the incoming outside air. I'm not sure it has dip switches. Are you familiar with the 4100?

It seems there are likely a few ways to run this machine, but I want to have a clear understanding of the best way, so I can specify to the installer how I want it controlled, and why.

Post Likes
    Anyone? Anyone with direct experience controlling a Venmar 4100 with a Honeywell IAQ TH8000 stat? I really expected that someone here would have done this.....

Post Likes
    Have you tried emailing/calling Venmar direct. I would expect your contractor to be able to answer your questions, or at least put you in contact with the right people.

http://www.venmarces.com/support/

HEPA 4100 USA Market

Installation Manual

User Guide

Technical Sheet

Post Likes
    Isn't the wall mounted control for the venmar optional? I also am not sure the t-stat (pro 8000) itself controls that venmar, but rather the furnace/air handler (along with the sensors from the venmar.)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in