Thread: We can't find a company that we trust...

Post Likes

We can't find a company that we trust...

We've had a few companies come in and each one has given us different advice and pricing. How do we choose?

We have 2 houses that don't get sufficient air in some of the rooms and we've asked each company "how we can get more air-flow to these rooms"? Only one person out of the 3 companies said they could do something.

The company that I've been using for my ac maintenance for the past 5 years said that there's a kink in my duct and that the coils are dirty. Well since they're the ones that maintain my system I don't think I'll be choosing them for my install. Obviously they never bothered to take care of my system while I was contracted with them so I can't trust them to do a good job for my install.

One guy quoted $ more for the same unit than from the other 2 companies.

We really don't know what to do... who can you trust? We don't believe any of these guys... I'm sad to say.

We've called some that were recommended to us through others on this site and they turned out to be the same.

Any suggestions on how to find a reliable, honest, good company in Phoenix AZ?
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-17-2010 at 05:37 PM. Reason: price

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by drmroth View Post
    We've called some that were recommended to us through others on this site and they turned out to be the same.
    Same as what?? Is it the price difference that is the problem?

Post Likes
    We've had a few companies come in and each one has given us different advice and pricing. How do we choose?

We have 2 houses that don't get sufficient air in some of the rooms and we've asked each company "how we can get more air-flow to these rooms"? Only one person out of the 3 companies said they could do something.

The company that I've been using for my ac maintenance for the past 5 years said that there's a kink in my duct and that the coils are dirty. Well since they're the ones that maintain my system I don't think I'll be choosing them for my install. Obviously they never bothered to take care of my system while I was contracted with them so I can't trust them to do a good job for my install.

We really don't know what to do... who can you trust? We don't believe any of these guys... I'm sad to say.

Keep searching this site you will find your answers.
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-17-2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: price in quote

Post Likes

Fly me down and I'll fix it.

Post Likes
    Keep looking for a few more estimates. Sounds like you do have duct problems. Are you looking to just fix duct work or new system? Don't get too loyal on 1 brand if looking to replace system. If changing system, learn to use AHRI to check out units, is nice to see what one brand compares to others(ratings wise),especially heat pumps & air cond.

Post Likes
    Hard to say without knowing it. On 2 story houses, getting to drops on the first floor is impossible without ripping out drywall. Its really hard to say with not that much information.
    Look for yourself. Stick a mirror through the filter door and look at the bottom of the coil. Go in the attic and look at the ducts. Also if its "kinked" im assuming flexible duct. Look to see the radius' of turns in it. BEcause a lot of what ive seen people assume cause its flexible that you can do whatever you want with it. And compression of the rings is afactor as well.

Confront them and ask them. Tell them what your other bids were and ask them to explain the difference. Put them on the spot. Be aggressive not passive. dont say "well gee these other guys..." Say "WE have to other bids and yours differs greatly. Here's the other bids we've recieved and i want to ask you whate the difference is."
    Because ive worked for and seen guys who outbid others cause a. they dont know how to run a business. B. they have cheap unknowledgeable labor.

LOL thats really hard to say. Just keep searching. Keep on this site as well.
    LOL hard to go by that. Some peopel might recommend them just cause they were polite.

shoot i just did 3 change outs a ladies house and she said she picked us cause the sales guy wore shoe covers.
    Give more information on this thread. TAke picuters of the ducts and units. Say what sizes go into those rooms.
    Also many focus on size of duct, but the placement of that duct is also important. Ducts at the end of the trunk can get more air.

Oh and being in florida, pheonix is like contditions. Whats the insulation in the attic look like? In Should be at least 12".

Ask "whats my total external static pressure?" At that particular point theyll know not to try and pull one over on you cause ive never had a customer ask me that.
    And the static pressure is exactly as it states. The constant pressure maintained in the duct system. And it relates to volume and velocity. And residential youd expect your TESP to be .08-.4(optimally) Howver if you exceed .8 youll have issues. If its too high it will also reduce airflow accross the fan and it will get hotter. And the pressure increases resistance on the blower wheel.

And 2 tools would be used to measure that. A magnehelic or a manometer. And the measurement is taken directly above and below the air handler.

Post Likes
    Phoenix is a large town. I'm sure there's somebody there that can fix your problem. It's not the service company's problem if you cannot change your filters regularly. Before anybody on here bashes one of their peers about being a hack. Because it could be you. I've found there are usually 2 sides to a story. I would like to hear that company's side before I condemn anybody. Before you have anybody out to do whatever you want done. Tell them exactly what you want. If they are unable to do what you want. Then don't invite them out. Do not expect your fix to be free or cheap. You will get what you pay for. Expect to pay a nice chunk of change to fix it and you might have some other repairs to do as well. If you are not willing to pay to fix your issue. Go to Wal Mart and buy a couple of $100 window units.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    Phoenix is a large town. I'm sure there's somebody there that can fix your problem. It's not the service company's problem if you cannot change your filters regularly. Before anybody on here bashes one of their peers about being a hack. Because it could be you. I've found there are usually 2 sides to a story. I would like to hear that company's side before I condemn anybody. Before you have anybody out to do whatever you want done. Tell them exactly what you want. If they are unable to do what you want. Then don't invite them out. Do not expect your fix to be free or cheap. You will get what you pay for. Expect to pay a nice chunk of change to fix it and you might have some other repairs to do as well. If you are not willing to pay to fix your issue. Go to Wal Mart and buy a couple of $100 window units.
    I kind of thought I heard the same thing. "I want something for nothing and if you don't tell me you can fix it free, then I don't trust you"
    Remember: You should always get what you pay for and promised!

Post Likes
    call us monday morning and we will give you a free estimate. We are licensed bonded and insured. www.keepcoolaz.com
    Last edited by dave82323; 09-18-2010 at 06:19 PM. Reason: mistake

Post Likes
    Unfortunately, during the summer in Phoenix it's alot more profitable for a servicing company to run 10 "emergency" calls than to spend a couple of days installing and fine-tuning a system.

The guys who have the tools & the knowledge to correctly install and tune a system can't compete with the guys who slam a system in and run.

Wait for daytime temps to hit the 70's and you'll have more luck finding the smart guys, and educate yourself in the meantime so you'll know how to spot them.

Post Likes
    In general, how important is it to use a contractor that is both bonded and insured? Or what if insured but not bonded?

If you think the contractor knows what they're doing based on your impression when they provide an estimate, should it raise a big red flag if they don't have these qualifications? Or is it a case-by-case kind of thing?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by clyde1 View Post
    In general, how important is it to use a contractor that is both bonded and insured? Or what if insured but not bonded?

If you think the contractor knows what they're doing based on your impression when they provide an estimate, should it raise a big red flag if they don't have these qualifications? Or is it a case-by-case kind of thing?
    If they have a state license there bonded. Go here and check them out. If there not listed there not licensed.

http://www.azroc.gov/

There are a number of GREAT contractors in Phoenix, if your only looking for the cheapest price watch out. You will most likely not be happy with the result.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in