+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: York seal problem, now it seal, now it don't

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy S. View Post
    On the YT's I have under my care, I run them at about a half PSI positive. That gives more oil flow through the seal cavity, and keeps the seal cooler, but still a full cavity. Get the low speed thrust specs for your unit and check to see that you're within specs there, too.
    2-3 works

Post Likes
    Install washers to increase flow

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy S. View Post
    Well, I'm not familiar with that particular machine, but on the YTs its more like a bearing oil run off that flows through the seal cavity, and the regulator is like a drain regulator. You might want to take it apart and see that it isn't hanging up, or maybe even replace it if it shows any sign of wear. Or be cheap with a piece of crocus cloth and polish it up. The last bellows seal I replaced on an R-123 machine showed signs of overheating. It was set for about a PSIG and a half at 60HZ, Also have a couple 11 machines that haven't seen much surging and have seals in then that are 15 years old. One of my own harebrained theories is that the 123 hardens the o-rings on the shaft and binds the piece that has to move on the shaft with the older seals.
    I agree with 123 statement

Post Likes

Another option

If you don't want to play the washer game, York has an adjustable regulator stem style available for setting seal pressure and jet pump pressure on LTD compressors and HT units makes it a whole lot easier.-GEO

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga1279 View Post
    If you don't want to play the washer game, York has an adjustable regulator stem style available for setting seal pressure and jet pump pressure on LTD compressors and HT units makes it a whole lot easier.-GEO
    Interesting, what seal pressure do york recommend when you buy this valve. You got any info on these

Post Likes

Adjustable regulator

All it is, is an adjustable regulator that screws in the same opening as the original hex fitting. You still use the original valve stem and spring, they fit right inside the regulator. It is a whole lot easier to adjust a stem then to have to operate the pump find the pressure then add or take away washers while air gets sucked into the system. Don't have the actual York part #. There is no change of pressure setting for seal relief, it is still the same 2 #'s under full load with 16" hg evaporator pressure.-GEO
    Last edited by ga1279; 10-23-2010 at 12:11 PM. Reason: OOOPS I forgot something
    Once in a while everything falls into place and I am able to move forward, most of the time it just falls all over the place and I can't go anywhere-GEO

Post Likes
    I also have a York YT 500 ton chiller and Johnson tech is telling me that there is no possible way that oil can cross with the refrigerant in the seal is that correct. I ask because I am loosing oil into the refrigerant and I have already checked the eductor and lines, oil sump temp, refrig dryers (changed), oil filter and purge unit. Please help this is going to be our primary machine and our new machine is to be installed so our older backup is to be removed. We need to figure this out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in