Anyone have any comments with regard to referrals from Service Magic. Good, bad, whatever. (www.servicemagic.com)

For the professonals; Do you get quality lead? is it worth the $$$membership?.

For the homeowners; How do you feel about the people came out to service your equipment?

i guess ...

it depends on how much you want to spend for a lead ... Welcome Wagon, ServiceMagic ... spend what ya can afford if you missed the deadline for the YP

Re: i guess ...

Originally posted by slimwoodie
    it depends on how much you want to spend for a lead ...
    Let me see if I can be more specific on my question.
    My question are; 1)Did you receive quality lead? or did you get a bunch of name, address & phone numbers.(window shoppers). 2) On the average, how many leads per month, or how much more bussiness $$$ as a result of joining, and does that justify $$$ membership fee?

Any update?

I'm about ready to sign up, but would appreciate any comments from others.

My hope is that the subscribers are too busy to have time to be on here

Thanks

Eric
    Air by Design

989-596-0133

airbydesign <@> gmail.com

As a consumer, I've used Service Magic a couple of times. Once was for some ceiling drywall repair. I could have done a better job myself. I won't give all the details, but the guy was a joke. He didn't charge much (which should have been my first clue), and the result is good enough for now. The second time was when I was looking for someone to refinish my hardwood floors. When the guy called me, I wasn't too impressed. I ended up going with someone else who did a very good job.

I probably won't use Service Magic again. The reason I used Service Magic was because the people I got from the yellow pages and personal referrals would never return my phone calls. I left multiple messages with some. My advice to all business owners: Always return messages as promptly as possible. Also, dress and act professionally when giving estimates in person. Unless I have a referral, this is all I have to judge you by in most cases. I could go on and on, but I'm sure you're already aware of this....

Thanks,

Josh

Sorry, more advice from a homeowner. I've dealt with a lot of businesses in the past year after buying a house so this is heavy on my mind.

As a software engineer, I probably rely on this more than most people, but a useful web site can be a big selling point for me. It doesn't have to be anything fancy from a professional design service. Create a simple site with your contact information (monitor the email address closely if you give one!!!) and pictures of past work. Put the web address on your business cards and yellow page ads so people can view the work you've done in the past. Be sure to keep the site current.

To me, it also shows the business isn't afraid of new technology. An HVAC business doesn't necessarily need a web site, but if it has one (especially if the owner does it himself), then it implies that they will have up-to-date tools, equipment, and methodology. If presented with two HVAC companies and one has a decent website, I would guess that one would be more likely to use the latest estimation methods (Manual D, etc.) rather than disproven and unreliable methods like square footage. They are probably more likely to keep up with the latest technology and proven trends, rather than "it's been done this way for 50 years so it's the best way".

We have to use THE YELLOW PAGES,but really hate them .We have tried to use Service Magic with very little success.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Look in to joining your local BNI chapter. (Busniess networking.) It's a group of about 20 people or so that meet once per week and pass referrals. In my group we have a lawyer, financial planner, home inspector, carpet cleaner, etc...Only one person per industry is allowed. Say the home inspector found bad a/c units, he can recommend to the homeowner your services....it's less than $400 per year....check it out

http://www.bni.com

The ROTARY is what i do, it is all the HEAVY HITTERS from the area and you get to give back to community
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

There used to be a section on this forum for the Pros to offer their service. What happened to it? The "Find a Contractor" thing appear to be very limited.