Now that I am unemployed temporarily, I have to divert my analytical nature to other than solving HVAC issues. Last night I decided to increase our cultural level by watching a double feature of two of my favorite older movies.

Both 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Mysterious Island were written by Jules Verne. 20,000 was done by Disney in 1954 while MI was done by Columbia Pictures in 1961.

There is no doubt that MI was a sequel to 20,000, that is the way Jules Verne wrote them and the MI movie makes reference to events that happened in 20,000 Leagues.

The dilema comes in with the beginning of 20,000 claiming the date to be 1868 which is after the war between the states. The mention of warships in 20,000 is very generic. There is no mention of any particular "wars".

Now, the "sequel" MI starts off in 1865 at the end of the war between the states. So...how can MI be a sequel if it is dated before 20,000?

I cannot believe that this has not become a major issue before now. I am not home and so do not have my written copies of these novels handy to check them for accuracy. We just may be stumbling on some sort of Jules Verne conspiracy or code for world domination so please take this seriously.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Get a job robo, your thinking tooo much.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

OK, so, any thoughts from cultured posters?

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    OK, so, any thoughts from cultured posters?
    Maybe "pearl", would meet your requirements. BTW it's fiction robo.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

It was a prequel to "Back to the Future". Speilberg went back to the mid 1800's and back to the 1990's after writing the "Verne" books.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

I do consider the fact that Jules Verne may have been a time traveller of some sort. I have found something that may explain this time difference but have not deciphered it yet. I will post it here so all of the others who have shown such interest in my quest can also help find the answers. Here is what I have found;
    Someone inquires; I have found a date paradox in three novels written by Jules Verne. What’s wrong there?
    The anser is; It was no mistake. At first view, it seems that Jules Verne made a mistake while wanting to make coincide the action of three of his novels: The children of captain Grant, Twenty thousand leagues under the seas and The mysterious island. In The children of Captain Grant, history took place between 1864 and 1865. At the end of the story, in March 1865, Ayrton is abandoned in an island. In The mysterious island, the action took place between 1865 and 1869. It was in December 1866 that Cyrus Smith and his friends found Ayrton. He declared them he had been abandoned in this island twelve years ago, that is to say since 1854. When Ayrton made the narration of his story, he situated the action between 1854 and 1855 and more precisely he had been abandoned on March 18, 1855. That was ten years before the date mentioned in The children of captain Grant. Also, in The mysterious island, at the end of the novel (1869), Cyrus Smith told Nemo that he knew him, because he had read the book written by Aronnax during his voyage aboard the Nautilus. Then Nemo said that it had been sixteen years since this man had left the Nautilus. That brings us back to 1853. However, the action of Twenty thousand leagues under the seas took place in 1866. The truth is that both, Jules Hetzel and Jules Verne knew about this paradox and they accepted it. There are two footnotes in the original French edition of The mysterious island where the publisher admitted the existence of date discrepancies with both The children of captain Grant and Twenty thousand leagues under the seas. The first note is part of chapter XVII of the second volume. There, Ayrton told his story to Cyrus Smith. The footnote read that these events told by Ayrton, were taken from a previous story titled The children of captain Grant, and they added that the reader would finally understand why the real dates couldn’t be given originally. The second note appeared in chapter XVI of the third volume. There, Nemo told his story. This footnote accepted the paradox between the dates in Twenty thousand leagues under the seas and the story of The mysterious island, and the reader was invited to see the previous note written in the second volume.

Originally posted by bootlen
    It was a prequel to "Back to the Future". Speilberg went back to the mid 1800's and back to the 1990's after writing the "Verne" books.
    ================================================== ==========

U-h-h, Robo. I was just joking.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Did you ever consider that Verne was running around with those beatnik types, drinking and drugging so much that he had no concept of time sequence?

Maybe he was truely psycic and was remembering the future events that had not happened yet.
    If the superheat ain't right it ain't charged right.

Kim, the things you and I think alike on are scary

From what I have read about Jules Verne, he was not much of a party guy. He also was not much of a father or husband although he did provide the essentials for his family. Like so many geniuses, Verne seems to have been a bit of a kook.

I too have thought that maybe he was reincarnated backward instead of forward or something along those lines. The same things apply to Leonardo DeVinci. They do seem to write about things as if they are remembering what has not yet been invented or discovered.

When you start knitting afgans I want one.

I just got the 1st season of "In Living Color" Now that's some classic comedy.

Here's a little known fact.

Jules Vernes real name was T J Wells,
    the younger brother of H G Wells.

He changed his name after messing with his brothers "Time Machine".
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.