Talking

USS CURTISS AV-4

My grandpa was on this ship till he was honorably discharged. I forget what year. He'll be 80 in May.
    Hire Me....

Benny

Ship looks cool. I'd like to get a tour of the fireroom.
    get him a gift on this website and see if he'd like to go to the reunion.
    http://www.usscurtissav4.com/

[Edited by otto on 11-07-2004 at 08:22 AM]
    R2B4BTU

he has been invited to reunions doesn't wanna go. i think i'll get him a sweatshirt. Great idea thank otto

Good luck on a tour . i'd like to tour it too!
    Hire Me....

Benny

My father served in the Navy in the Pacific in WW2 and I have an official list of the names of the several ships he served on.

Is there a way to locate photos of those ships?

do a Google search of the ships name. you will be surprised at all the info you can find

Here is a story about WW2 aircraft carriers. Every carrier was named after a battle of the Revoltionary War. So there was a Carrier called the USNS Bennington.

Of course the Bennington has been decommissioned and I understand that it has been scraped. Our Town(Bennington) sought to have the bell given to the Town. The Navy LET the Town have the CARE of the ship's bell. But it will be forever the property of the Navy. Today the Bell is displayed in a nice memorial in front of our Town Hall. On special occassions it is rung.

[Edited by benncool on 11-07-2004 at 11:58 PM]

I think that I put this up before but, there is a web site http://www.hullnumber.com that has every ship in the Naval history and you can meet up with guys that you had long since forgot.
    When Chuck Norris falls in water, Chuck Norris doesn't get wet. Water gets Chuck Norris.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by benncool
    [B]Here is a story about WW2 aircraft carriers. Every carrier was named after a battle of the Revoltionary War. So there was a Carrier called the USNS Bennington.

Of course the Bennington has been decommissioned and I understand that it has been scraped. Our Town(Bennington) sought to have the bell given to the Town. The Navy LET the Town have the CARE of the ship's bell. But it will be forever the property of the Navy. Today the Bell is displayed in a nice memorial in front of our Town Hall. On special occassions it is rung.

[Edited by snipe70e on 11-08-2004 at 02:23 PM]
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam

Originally posted by dbaker
    I think that I put this up before but, there is a web site http://www.hullnumber.com that has every ship in the Naval history and you can meet up with guys that you had long since forgot.
    Couldn't get that link to work. My late father inlaw was a ww2 navy vet. My wife has very little info and would like to learn about his service history. Anybody got sites to help with this? Don't even know wthe name(s) of the ships he served on.
    Thanks

Question

Ben,
    Was she a P2 hull. Looks like she started as a P2 but was changed a little. Turbo electric or gear turbine? Just curious.
    Len
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam

http://www.oldoppos.us/

They must have changed but this website can do the very same thing.
    When Chuck Norris falls in water, Chuck Norris doesn't get wet. Water gets Chuck Norris.

Originally posted by snipe70e
    Ben,
    Was she a P2 hull. Looks like she started as a P2 but was changed a little. Turbo electric or gear turbine? Just curious.
    Len
    Not sure i know the ship was at pearl harbor lost something on the front of the ship. a crane or somthin

I'll ask my grandpa next time i see him,
    Hire Me....

Benny

Talking

Here it is Superfitter
    Hire Me....

Benny