Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

can you really be that arrogant/demanding?

I work for a company and today is my day on call, this is emergency after hours service and it is said that way on the machine and by the answering service.

Lady calls and says "... can you come out and check my furnace? last week another company said it has a bad heat chamber thingy and the home warranty company wants a second opinion."

I said " no problem, our weekend rate is $$ and it is travel plus time on site and since you are a new customer it will be payment upon completion. If the heat exchanger is bad, there is nothing I can do for you until at least Monday."

Lady " well you have to call the warranty company while here and tell them or they won't authorize repairs and I need you to guarantee me that you will install a new furnace TODAY."

I repeated that there is no way to install a new unit today, we have an install dept and I do not know their schedule, but Tuesday would probably be doable. I also said that any time on site is chargeable, so if I am on hold with the warranty company you/she is responsible for the charges.

Lady " well I guess that you don't want the job, I don't want to pay you if there is no way to install a unit today and I guess you don't care that my toddlers are cold."

If the other company shut it down last week, why are you waiting until Saturday to do something?

Do you not understand the concept of emergency service?

Do you not realize it is a weekend and the parts houses are closed?

So many other things I wanted to say to her, but kept it clean and professional.

Wished her good luck in her quest to find someone COMPETENT to install a unit today.

It is mid to upper 40's, go to Wal-Mart, Target or someplace, buy a couple space heaters and "camp" out in the same room until Monday and then any number of companies will be at your becon call.

Sorry for the rant, but sometimes it is just amazing what people do/think!!
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Its 95° here......send her down!

and the home warranty company wants a second opinion."
    Could you have called the warranty Company from your location? It is clear that the first company may have been the "chosen one" so your job was just to provide a "second opinion"
    Once you were in contact with the people who were going to pay the bill, perhaps you could have gotten on the bid list. Your contact with the warranty company would have also give you the model size of the furnace.
    A quick call to your salesman, he does have a cell, might have given you some pricing guidance, so when you were at the job giving the second opinion you might have closed the deal and had her back in operation on Monday.
    You could have gotten the old unit out and preped for the install guys for a head start. Still remember how to "push and pull"?

Really the only thing she understood about this is that she and her children were cold for a couple of days when some "insurance" company was getting her to do their work and the idea of not understanding what they wanted might mean she was not going to be reimbursed, and she is not a business person just a civilian who figures that this straight forward situation is already getting too complicated.

I can see why your first reaction would be she is arrogant/demanding
    But upon reflection, do you still think that. Think you could have handled it differently, and maybe made a sale?

Just wondering if you might do it differently next time?
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

PS, do you have combustion test equipment, maybe it wasn't a bad heat exchanger and she just need an honest tech.
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

Don't feel too bad,you did all you could do.Unfortunately there are people like that all over the place that think the world revolves around them.
    It reminds me of when I was a dispatcher for a large heating,a/c co..It was a particuliarly bad day with temps below zero.I was getting no heat calls all over the place and then I got THE call.
    It was from a woman located in the upper priced area of our city.She said her humidifier was leaking and demanded that I send someone right away as she was having a "tea" that morning and the rug was getting wet.I tried to tell her how to shut off the water but she told me in some other words that that was beneath her.
    I ended up giving her 5 phone numbers.When she asked what the numbers were for ,I told her that those numbers belonged to people in her area that had no heat and if she could convince any one of them that her problem was more important than theirs I would then send someone to her instead of that persons house.The next sound I heard weas "click".LOL

Quote Originally Posted by genduct View Post
    PS, do you have combustion test equipment, maybe it wasn't a bad heat exchanger and she just need an honest tech.
    yes, I do.

another of our interactions was the fact that the "other" company is know to do this as a sales ploy. We have gone back on several occasions to dispute their claims and they have backed of each time.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Blah, blah, blah. Call your boss, tell him what happened and move on. It's a loser that will be a pain in your arse. I want to know where you live that you need a furnace? Or is this an old post?
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Could you have called the warranty Company from your location? It is clear that the first company may have been the "chosen one" so your job was just to provide a "second opinion"
    Once you were in contact with the people who were going to pay the bill, perhaps you could have gotten on the bid list. Your contact with the warranty company would have also give you the model size of the furnace.
    A quick call to your salesman, he does have a cell, might have given you some pricing guidance, so when you were at the job giving the second opinion you might have closed the deal and had her back in operation on Monday.
    service is on call after hours not the salespeople, installers or schedulers.

You could have gotten the old unit out and preped for the install guys for a head start. Still remember how to "push and pull"?
    still remember, but that is not what we are supposed to do!!!

Really the only thing she understood about this is that she and her children were cold for a couple of days when some "insurance" company was getting her to do their work and the idea of not understanding what they wanted might mean she was not going to be reimbursed,she knew she would be reimbursed, she said she would be. and she is not a business person just a civilian who figures that this straight forward situation is already getting too complicated.

I can see why your first reaction would be she is arrogant/demanding
    But upon reflection, do you still think that. Think you could have handled it differently, and maybe made a sale?
    NO

Just wondering if you might do it differently next time?
    you get a sense of customers over the phone or in person, usually. this one was as described, arrogant/ignorant.

there is one company that is regular rate on Saturday, but even they do NOT install on the weekend unless it is set up in advance.

come dead of winter we have an additional install crew available for emergencies. if it had been this time a guarantee of install on Monday would be possible.

you may be correct in that the insurance company is to blame, but if they are dragging their feet, how am I going to make it happen faster?

Sounds like you could have helped this lady and her children get back to warm.
    You only needed to call the Warranty Company so there wouldn't be a dispute.

You didn't respond the the first post, still interested in what you will do in the future.

Still think this lady didn't deserve your attention?

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    Blah, blah, blah. Call your boss, tell him what happened and move on. It's a loser that will be a pain in your arse. I want to know where you live that you need a furnace? Or is this an old post?
    not an old post, happened today 9/11/10.

as I said, mid to upper 40's so "need" is an opinion.

this was more for the average homeowner not the pros, or I would have posted it in the PRO section, to respond to although that is fine.

Do you realize that many home warranty company doesn't pay a service company its regular rates during normal hours. So they aren't going to pay a companies time and a half rates on a weekend.

Next, they don't pay travel time.

And there is no way they would have paid for a furnace install on a Saturday.

Next, Most, if not all home warranty companies, provide the furnace. So he/his company would have sold a furnace. They would get to install a furnace sent to them by the home warranty company.

Does ant of that change your mind.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

After reading all the posts, I'm with you pacnw. If it was an issue a week ago, it should have been addressed during the week, not on the weekend. Some people think that we because we have after hours/emergency service that we should work at the same rate as during the week. Our company policy is that we collect on every residential service call unless the customer has filled out a credit app. and has established an account with us. My approach with customers on after hours calls is the exact same as what you did. Let them know how much and that you have to collect when you're finished. Anytime there is a home warranty company involved, I collect the full amount from the customer for repairs that were made and let the customer deal with getting their money back from the home warranty company. There was only so much you could do, and you were honest with her that you wouldn't be able to do anything until Monday anyway. I'm guessing it was in the 40's at night, not during the day? I personally don't see how you could have done it any differently.

Buddy, I don't know you and you don't know me, I think you are a younger guy, maybe 30's I would like to share with you that as you get older, some of us begin to get a different sense of the customers. We don't listen to their shrill, emotional voice, remember she and her kids are cold. We find out what the problem is, and then try to fix it.
    still remember, but that is not what we are supposed to do!!!
    IS not the policy that fits fixing the problem.

If you know this other company even a better reason to stick it to them!

I think you missed an opportunity by letting your pride get in your way.
    You didn't like her talking to you like that so you founds a reason not to help her and so she and the kids deserve to be cold another coupla of nights. YEH, THAT WILL LEARN THEM GOOD
    SHE SHOULD HAVE CALLED US FIRST, ON A REGULAR WORK DAY.
    BESIDES I DON'T WANT TO GO OUT TONIGHT.

Just don't find myself agreeing with you. If you are going to make it in this business, you're going to need to filter out the emotion Maybe in a coupla years you'll be able to at least understand my point of view. But you probably think I also am also arrogant/demanding
    Well you'ld be partly correct, I am demanding. I want people to step up and do what they are there to do.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast