hope your solution was a bright yellow and not clear as you described it. Did you leak test the generator bundle? Its not rolled in like other machines.

11-02-2004 08:35 PM IP: Logged

yes, i have the steam head off and leak checked the bundles

what does it mean if the solution is not a bright yellow besides the chemicals are depleted? we put in a full charge of chemicals and they last only about a month to a month and a half. getting back to the leak. can it be a hot leak in the steam bundles?is there such a thing as a hot leak?

Depending on the concentration and the various stages of yellow is how the Chromates are checked. If its clear your inhibitors are depleted. Could be a hot leak, anything is possible on absorbers. When Im leak checking with 22 and backed with nitrogen to 13 PSI, Ill run the pumps. This gives you more wet areas in the machine to leak out. Then I leak test the balance electronicaly.

On a 16JB which is single stage my bet would be on the valves, cycleguard, pumps or gen tubes. Rarely is it other than that on single stage but then Ive seen some weird stuff on absorbers.

How have your refrigerant levels been? Any excessive refrigerant charge problems?

Do you work in north or south Jersey?

[Edited by absrbrtek on 11-03-2004 at 09:32 PM]
    Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!

helium test

the machine is a 16jt if that makes any difference as far as leaks go.this machine is in central jersey.thanks for all the great info.

how would you helium leak check the pumps-these pumps dont have valves to drain ref. will helium go through solution to the leak.
    i'm not sure but i think i might have gained about 20 gallons of water

i also had cycle gaurd activated due to high ref. levell. i pulled noncondensables from absorber section (air) and my ref. levell went back to normal-thanks again

You could run your chiller with minimum steam about 1 or 2 pounds, then purge wait an hour. Then set up to purge into a cylinder upside down in water. measure the cc which is the amount of air you have purged. Load it up to around 10psi and perform the same test. If you are purging more at higher load . You might have a generator tube leak. It would show up better at higher steam pressure. You could perform a similar test with a vacuum pump. Carriers chromate inhibited machines are always Bright yellow. Check your solution. Chromate should be within 1000-2400 ppm

this machine runs at 125 psi steam

16jt is a high presure machine 125 psi. You could run a similar test. On the purge eductors try running the vacuum pump only from the eductors on the back of the machine which should be the closest to the entering absorber water . The condensibles tend to collect in the colder spot of the absorber. It will purge alot more. What is the model #?

When puging install a hose on the outlet of the vacuum pump into a water jug observe the bubble. Purge at low and high load. If bubbles increase with higher steam pressure , you may have a generatoe leak.

m/n-16jt854-36495

how many purge eductors on this machine.

i'v evacuated with pump doing a bubble count.i can get it down to no bubbles and it will be good for a while. one mistake i made was to change a diaphram valve on absorber section that was split on outlet side- you know the valve you hook the pump up to on absober section

if i know what your talking about it has 1 puge eductor.the operators normaly get enough air out of the machine to keep it running