Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Would it be a good idea to go from tech school to maybe a college to further increase my capabilities in this field? If so any good ideas? thanks in advanced.

Book learnin' ain't worth squat without hands on training! Not unless your some kind of genius/ "Boy Wonder"!

It's just a long tough road and there are plenty of potholes along the path!
    But once you start moving down that road ... you probably wont wish to ever turn back.

Get out there in the field where you'll begin getting your hands dirty and your brain fried!

If you've been subjecting yourself to classroom/ lab sessions, then it's about time to get on out there and see how well you absorbed/ retained what was taught to you.
    It's like having muscles. Unless you exercise them, they go bad.
    And "hands-on in the field" is THE BEST method for learning this industry!

Yeah, i understand that. It just seems like ive heard about people going to tech school for one subject then afterwards going to another school for something else that when they are done they have a combination of hvac and something else which can get them a better job. not sure if you get what im trying to say, but if you do i was just wondering if there are any good combinations out there.

Also, we have the option of going into ammonia or getting started on our internship at PTI for the last 3 months of our fourth section. any good ideas on why I should go into ammonia or should i just forget about it cause the chances are slim that i will ever even work with it. are there any well paying jobs out there that need people with experience in ammonia?

Yeah, go get a job.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

When you say go get a job are you referring to my question about ammonia or going to college afterwards.. or both? and if you could explain why, thatd be great. thanks

The ammonia does open the doors to some higher paying employment opportunities; especially if you are certified
    through RETA (Refrigerating Engineers and Technicians Association). There are always people looking for ammonia technicians and "ammonia refrigeration supervisors".

However, ammonia work is not without its dangers. I've
    worked with it for about ten years in the past, both as a technician and a "refrigeration supervisor" and been through
    many leak situations, including some "clouds". Scary and stressful.

Now that I'm back into regular service work, I only have to deal with a few ammonia accounts- a lot less stress.

Don't get me wrong, ammonia refrigeration is fine work if it is done properly and the right equipment is provided.
    Unfortunately, most of the places that I have worked pretty much skimped on equipment, safety, and training. But there are some good companies out there, you just have to do your homework.

Yeah, i think I am leaning more towards just gettin out there and starting my internship. I have a little over a year and a half to go though, so if any oppurtunities come up with ammonia I could change my mind.

Steal all your parents money

and I'll sell my biz. Lets buy a boat, move to CanCun and take fisherwomen and diver girls out to sea. That would be a better life than HVAC.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Re: Steal all your parents money

Originally posted by spotts
    and I'll sell my biz. Lets buy a boat, move to CanCun and take fisherwomen and diver girls out to sea. That would be a better life than HVAC.
    Do you need a senior citizen in that prono movie??

Seriously, goody, what do YOU want to do? You got to answer that first.

If I was just starting out I would make sure that I had an Associates Degree in HVAC if I were going to spend 2 years on a higher education and I wanted to get into the industry.

With an associates degree you can go any direction once you get out of school and you can command a decent starting wage.

Re: Re: Steal all your parents money

Originally posted by benncool
    Originally posted by spotts
    Do you need a senior citizen in that prono movie??
    I'll be contacting you about that. No movie really, I'd only count the girls and the bikini's........ while counting their men's money. It's my fantasy future.

[Edited by spotts on 11-04-2004 at 07:03 PM]
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Originally posted by benncool
    Seriously, goody, what do YOU want to do? You got to answer that first.

If I was just starting out I would make sure that I had an Associates Degree in HVAC if I were going to spend 2 years on a higher education and I wanted to get into the industry.

With an associates degree you can go any direction once you get out of school and you can command a decent starting wage.
    Good idea.
    “Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own." Scott Adams

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    Albert Einstein

Well, I wanna figure out the best possible way to about this industry. As of now my plans are to finish my 2 year tech school and find a job to do my internship. I really need a little more time in school to figure out what I would like to do.. as far as commercial or residential. I had a post in my other thread in Job discussions saying getting a mechanical engineering degree and a PI degree would be good (night classes). any opinions on that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast