Thread: Rheem vs Comfortmaker value line heat pumps

Post Likes

Rheem vs Comfortmaker value line heat pumps

When I read the comparison threads between competing models on this site, the typical response is that the quality of installation matters more than the brand. That makes sense but I need to chose between a Rheem model (13PJL18A01/RHSLHM1817JA) and a Comfortmaker (N4H318AKE/FEM4P1800A). These are value line units . A technician told me that he felt that the Comfortmaker coil is easier to get to but that was about the extent of his thoughts.

What about you? Is one as good as another in longevity, ease of service, etc? Thanks for your thoughts.

Post Likes
    In some cases, the louvered cabinet on the Rheem is an advantage in protecting the coil from kids, dogs, lawn care equipment etc. Does make it a bit harder to clean. Rheem has one other advantage, demand defrost. In a cold climate, a heat pump with time temp board defrosts probably hundreds of times with no frost on it. That's quite strain on the system. Due to the logic of a demand board, those unnecessary defrosts are eliminated. Also the board on the Rheem monitors the low pressure switch and will lock off the pump if there is an issue, like low refrigerant. LEDs flash a diagnostics code.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    In some cases, the louvered cabinet on the Rheem is an advantage in protecting the coil from kids, dogs, lawn care equipment etc. Does make it a bit harder to clean. Rheem has one other advantage, demand defrost. In a cold climate, a heat pump with time temp board defrosts probably hundreds of times with no frost on it. That's quite strain on the system. Due to the logic of a demand board, those unnecessary defrosts are eliminated. Also the board on the Rheem monitors the low pressure switch and will lock off the pump if there is an issue, like low refrigerant. LEDs flash a diagnostics code.
    My recollection is that the technician said that the coil on the Rheem is V-shaped and the comfortmaker had another design that was easier to get to and to clean.

"Demand defrost" sounds like a no brainer. I'm surprised that they don't all do it that way. Does this feature and the low pressure monitoring exist across Rheem's full line, including this value line?

Thanks.

Post Likes
    Rheem's indoor coil is a N shaped coil.

Rheem's demand board is similar throughout the line. Getting a rectangular premium unit adds a high pressure switch. A JEC or JEZ model has a special board with all kinds of diagnostics. The JEC is communicating with certain indoor units and stats.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Rheem's indoor coil is a N shaped coil.

Rheem's demand board is similar throughout the line. Getting a rectangular premium unit adds a high pressure switch. A JEC or JEZ model has a special board with all kinds of diagnostics. The JEC is communicating with certain indoor units and stats.
    Thanks so much for the helpful information that you've shared.

Post Likes
    We install both Comfortmaker and Rheem products. I do not know specifically which units you are referring to, but if memory serves me right, the Comfortmaker is a little easier to install. Other than that, they are pretty much a draw when it comes to ease of servicing. If it's the style that I am thinking of, the Rheem unit has its lines coming strait out instead of at an angle. By the same token, the Comfortmakers that we buy have the outdoor valves set up in a way that make it a real pain in the butt to break the system open or pump it back into itself. Once again, its minor, but when it's 10 degrees outside, an extra five mins is nice to avoid.

My two cents.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in