Thread: The Lo Bid Baxi

The Lo Bid Baxi

I had worked on this customer's old oil boiler 3 years ago and he wanted a new one but our price was too hi. So he had Mr. lo bid do it ( wouldn't tell me who) and look what he got.

I had to go there at 10pm because the pop off blew and wouldn't close so no hot water. Couldn't find the original installer (surprise!) so had to pay for me to replace it after hours.

Notice the relief valve was piped into the same hose as the condensate drain!?!

Also the nice gas piping.

Sorry about the poor pic, just had the cell phone camera.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Looks like Dr. Octavious from spiderman....and he looks pissed! lol

so did you charge him double?
    Parts Changer Extraordinaire
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Have tools and gauges, will travel.

RIDGID|YELLOW JACKET|UEI|TESTO|STANLEY|CPS|VETO| KLEIN|MILWAUKEE|MASTERCRAFT|

Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post
    so did you charge him double?

Almost! Standard overtime rate.

What was wrong with it?

Quote Originally Posted by reef10 View Post
    What was wrong with it?
    I had to go there at 10pm because the pop off blew and wouldn't close
    The pressure gauge on the Baxi reads in Bar and the owner thought it needed 2 bar! 30 psi relief valve.

That's just utterly ridiculous. Hope he's happy with the money he saved.

Holy Ship!

It looks to me like the gas line is way under sized, just be prepared for a no heat call and the burners are sooted up. In my experience these are pretty sensitive to the gas line size. It stinks when the low bid gets the job and then it looks like that mess.

Good luck!

I reckon you're more forgiving than we. Once we bid a replacement or new system or unit, if they go with the lower bid, we won't service it anymore. They're warned during the sales call that we won't service what we don't put in, once we've bid the job. Amazing how many calls we get and refuse. It's not that we're mean but we're not stupid either. If they could go get the cheap install and still use our remarkably dependent service for repairs, what's the incentive to use us for the repalcement. I mean other than getting a high quality installation?

That install is complete junk. I wouldn't even put my hands on that, except to pull it all apart and do it properly. For significant cash, of course.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

I agree.

I Posted pics awhile back, with a ductless system that I lost the bid on, they installed an internet purchased unit and it looked like a blind monkey with no hands installed it. Then my customer asked me to fix there install, I said no way! Someone fixed it, and it wasnt me. He still uses my company for service work and I didnt marry someones garbage equipment and installation.