Any owner operators out there who know how much your techs are worth to you by the hour?

I have been working on a spread sheet that will tell me that and more and was wondering if anyone else was doing something like this. I wanted to see what each truck was doing financially and what the department was doing to help the ocmpany out. For the most part since we are a primaily new construction company we have a moderate amount of nonbillable hours for warranty per tech. This can be a tremendously horrible thing especially if you know what it takes per hour to keep trucks on the road.

If you do have something set up like this how much do you show your techs of it? I have the desire to get the guys to be more competitive by showing them what they are doing per hour on a weekly basis. Those who show to be a drain on the company will easily be able to see that and see that they need to straighten up of find another job.

The things I am tracking are for the most part what I would consider basic info like drive time, dollars per hour and totals invoiced.

There are quite a few other things in it as well but just thought I would see who and hhow well it has worked once you have this info.

I couldn't even imagine

having time to figure out crap like that. I just peek to see if the shop made money on the 10th and stick a little in savings. If I have a guy not pulling his load, we all know it. I also know who my top guy is and pay him accordingly.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

As true as that is I see my situation different I guess. There are days like monday for one of the guys. He had over 3 hours drive time 4 hours running recalls on new construction and 2 more hours doing other things that were equally unproductive but he thinks his crap don't stink and thinks he should be paid top tech wages when he is the least productive. BTW the recalls he was running on himself.

To me it makes it easier to point and say look you aren't doing your job and here is why and how I can tell.

I wouldn't show them too much details. Just keep it simple and show them a chart with billable efficeincy for each tech and make a game out of it. Nothing wrong with a little competition.

A company with both service and retrofit installations will hover around 50% billable efficeincy. Installations by nature will have a higher billable efficeincy and will balance out the service dept lack of efficeincy.

When you start departmentalizing your diff depts. You can get a better idea of the billable eff. Then you can add your lost billable time to your breakeven point.

Originally posted by swat
    As true as that is I see my situation different I guess. There are days like monday for one of the guys. He had over 3 hours drive time 4 hours running recalls on new construction and 2 more hours doing other things that were equally unproductive but he thinks his crap don't stink and thinks he should be paid top tech wages when he is the least productive. BTW the recalls he was running on himself.

To me it makes it easier to point and say look you aren't doing your job and here is why and how I can tell.

I'm not that nice. I'd cut his wages face to face. Tell him pick it up and so will I. If he don't, keep cutting them till he quits.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau