So we're almost done, and things have gone good so far, slower than expected, but hey it's a retro-fit destined for the wall O' pide.

There's this one point that keeps bugging me, though. Its the zoning system.

Here's the equipment I've got.
Trane
Outdoor Model Number: 4TWX6048A1
Indoor Unit(s): 4TEE3F49A

Thermostat: Honeywell TH8320U (Neat by the way)
Zone controller: Honeywell EMM-3U (2 zones)

Now the question I have is I have a 3 stage heat system (2 compressor and 1 strip) The thermostats are setup for a 3 heat / 2 cool unit (0170 = 12) When I read the install manual for the zone cntrol, it says its for a 2H/2C setup. Under equipment wiring (page 8) it gives the wire config for using the 2nd heat stage for the compressor or the strips then says "To control a two-stage heat pump with auxiliary heat, select the TZ-4 TotalZone Zone Control Panel."

Looking at the book and the wiring diagrams some more it looks like the panel sets W2 on the call for 2nd stage, and Y2 / E are jumpered to that, depending on what the 2nd stage is susposed to be.

So far I've asked about this three times, and gotten varities of "We always install this one." to "Don't worry aobut it."

Am I reading this wrong? I don't want to pass on the features of having a multistage thermostat to have the compressors 2nd stage controlled by a timer. (I don't know how else it would ever come on for heating, I don't much care about the cooling.)