Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Duct Board

Duct Board

Do any of you non sheet metal guys who do change-outs, use duct board to make transitions etc. ???

If you do use sheet metal but dont have a pittsburg machine and all the sheet metal skills, do you use S cleats to seam together sheet metal???

I know there's alot of good service technicians out there who can do great installs / change-outs, but are not sheet metal mechanics. How do you guys put your transitions & flashing together without a pittsburg machine etc. ?

I've made hand made pittsburg type seams with steel slats, clamps,tongs, and alot of time but, how do you guys do it?

I like for my flashing on package units and duct transitions to look as professional as all my mechanical type work.

Yeah, yeah, yeah..... I wish I had the $$$$ to hire a sheet metal mechanic and everything else...

Thanks for any replies.....

I use round pipe and pre fab transitions from square to round

Just learn how to build sheet metal fittings, it's not very hard.

Anyone that would transition a furnace to existing duct with ductboard is a hack, plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by seatonheating View Post
    Just learn how to build sheet metal fittings, it's not very hard.

Anyone that would transition a furnace to existing duct with ductboard is a hack, plain and simple.
    And, what if the existing is already made of board?

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    And, what if the existing is already made of board?

Ya, but that's not what he's asking.

Oh, and in my 15 years I've never seen a ductboard system.....so.

Pittsburgh looks the best but your right, not all techs have them.

We have done installs with slips that look extremely professional.

Ya, but that's not what he's asking.

Oh, and in my 15 years I've never seen a ductboard system.....so.
    Real common around here.
    But, I think this metal/board debate, will go on, and on, and on.

I used to do nothing but metal.
    Now, it makes absolutely no difference to me. They're both OK in my eyes.
    Got to keep an open mind to survive these days.

In our area of Texas 98% of the systems use ductboard and flex. Metal is VERY rare and usually very old.

In Portland, metal is king. I've only seen 2 systems up here using ductboard and flex.

S-slip will work and look good. If you have a break and want it to look really good you could do a coffin lock.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I wish I could remember where I put those dang memory pills!

Hey Josh, since you are new at this duct thing and haven't seen much or any good ductboard jobs, it might interest you that some of us have tied multiple 52x36 trunk onto 110 ton rooftops. Our all time record, usually 5 to 25 airhandlers and rooftops.

When it is done right it is a sealed-insulated system that delivers at half the cost of insulated sheet metal. Instead of worrying about that flex connector that isolates the unit from the duct you don't need one with a DB plenum that is also acoustically superior. Been doing this for 30 years with millions of sq ft of space and board for offices, retail, churches and schools. We use it for commercial. That's the funny thing, using a commercial product for residential as compared with that sub 30 ga economy pipe that fishmouths when you try to screw it together, You know the stuff everyone thinks is better than that crap board.
    I've been called a lot of things over the years, some of them true, But never been called a Hack for my choice of material. First time for everything I suppose
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

Can you elaborate on the acoustic differences?

Quote Originally Posted by genduct View Post
    Hey Josh, since you are new at this duct thing and haven't seen much or any good ductboard jobs, it might interest you that some of us have tied multiple 52x36 trunk onto 110 ton rooftops. Our all time record, usually 5 to 25 airhandlers and rooftops.

When it is done right it is a sealed-insulated system that delivers at half the cost of insulated sheet metal. Instead of worrying about that flex connector that isolates the unit from the duct you don't need one with a DB plenum that is also acoustically superior. Been doing this for 30 years with millions of sq ft of space and board for offices, retail, churches and schools. We use it for commercial. That's the funny thing, using a commercial product for residential as compared with that sub 30 ga economy pipe that fishmouths when you try to screw it together, You know the stuff everyone thinks is better than that crap board.
    I've been called a lot of things over the years, some of them true, But never been called a Hack for my choice of material. First time for everything I suppose

New to this duct thing?? Ha ha, right.

You can tell me 'til you are blue in the face, how great ductboard is.

I'll never be convinced.

New to this duct thing?? Ha ha, right.

You can tell me 'til you are blue in the face, how great ductboard is.

I'll never be convinced.
    I don't think anybody is trying to convince you of anything.
    We're just stating facts.That's all.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast