+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bachelors Degree

Post Likes

Bachelors Degree

Hey guys,

I know there have been threads similar to this before, but they aren't exactly what I'm looking for.

I have a background in mechanical work(I'm 23 and I have been helping my dad, who owns a plumbing & heating company, since I was just a little kid and close to full time since I was 18)
    So I've always been around the business and I am currently getting my Bachelors in HVAC/R Engineering Technology from Ferris State here in Michigan, which does have some controls/DDC classes.

I have taken a C# programming class, and am currently learning html/css & some JAVA in my spare time. I really enjoy this stuff.

Now my question is would it benefit me to also get a Bachelors in Computer Information Systems? So I would actually have two Bachelors degrees, one in HVAC/R and one in Computer Science.

The gen ed stuff is the same for both so that is all done, and right now I am only taking one 3-4 credit class each semester, so to get both degrees I would only have to take two 3-4 credit classes at a time which is easily doable for me.

I feel like it cant hurt, and it will open up that many more opportunities for me, the CIS degree has programming, networking, business, project management, and a lot of other good courses. And honestly I really enjoy taking classes so its no big deal to me.

Sorry for being so long winded, but what do you guys think about that? Thanks

Post Likes
    This industry is moving very rapidly towards IT. Getting an actual degree in it will help you immensely in this field.

I can't tell you how many people in our industry have a hard time grasping the finer points of ethernet vs IP, much less the more complex networking issues.

(Please Note: I'm not knocking anyone here, we all could learn a lot from an IT degree and I'm hardly an exception).

I say go for it 100% and don't look back. Just make sure you don't like it so much that you drop out of the HVAC/R Engineering Technology program! :-)

Post Likes
    If I could go back to school I would strive to excel in Java at the very least!
    RealEyes
    Realize
    RealLies!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by UpNorthHVAC View Post
    Hey guys,

I know there have been threads similar to this before, but they aren't exactly what I'm looking for.

I have a background in mechanical work(I'm 23 and I have been helping my dad, who owns a plumbing & heating company, since I was just a little kid and close to full time since I was 18)
    So I've always been around the business and I am currently getting my Bachelors in HVAC/R Engineering Technology from Ferris State here in Michigan, which does have some controls/DDC classes.

I have taken a C# programming class, and am currently learning html/css & some JAVA in my spare time. I really enjoy this stuff.

Now my question is would it benefit me to also get a Bachelors in Computer Information Systems? So I would actually have two Bachelors degrees, one in HVAC/R and one in Computer Science.

The gen ed stuff is the same for both so that is all done, and right now I am only taking one 3-4 credit class each semester, so to get both degrees I would only have to take two 3-4 credit classes at a time which is easily doable for me.

I feel like it cant hurt, and it will open up that many more opportunities for me, the CIS degree has programming, networking, business, project management, and a lot of other good courses. And honestly I really enjoy taking classes so its no big deal to me.

Sorry for being so long winded, but what do you guys think about that? Thanks
    Do it. Here's why you should. You're young and have the time. Later it will be different (trust me). A lot of people change careers as they go along. Having more, and varied, education is a good thing. You may think you know what you want to do for a living, or not. In either case, that will probably change over time. Stay flexible.

BTW, I have two AAS degrees, a BS, and a MS in CIS.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by garya505 View Post
    Do it. Here's why you should. You're young and have the time. Later it will be different (trust me).
    I agree with this 100%, once you have a family, kids, mortgage, hobbies, etc.. it is very hard to go back and get more school. Do it while you are young and able.

Post Likes
    That would be an extremely marketable combination in my opinion. It's easier for you to do it now than it will be 10 years from now when you decide you'd like to move into product development for instance where a CS (or similar) degree will be very useful.

I would personally avoid learning Java as a first language. It's pretty common to see CS majors have all of their "high level" programming experience in Java. The problem with learning Java first (or only Java) is that Java does a lot for you, things you would otherwise need to learn how to do yourself in a language like C.

It's easier to grasp the object oriented paradigm and all the benefits of a JIT compiled language (native code excluded) coming from a procedural language that requires the programmer to handle things like memory management than vice-versa. In my opinion at least.

You'll also hopefully gain a better understanding of ASM; something you'll want to understand if you ever move into developement.

Just my $.02

D1G

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by UpNorthHVAC View Post
    Hey guys,

Bachelors in Computer Information Systems?
    So I would actually have two Bachelors degrees, one in HVAC/R and one in Computer Science.

...CIS degree has programming, networking, business, project management, and a lot of other good courses.
    Make sure you understand the different requirements between a Computer Science Degree and a Computer Information Systems Degree. The Computer Science degree typically is a lot more work (more math, calculus, information theory, algorithms, O/S design principles, etc.)

I started with an A.S. degree in Computer Information Systems with an emphasis in networking (NT4.0 transitioning to W2K days) and some programming (BASIC, C, VB). I then went for a B.S. in Business Administration with a concentration in Information Management. The CS degree would have taken me at least an extra year in school.

Regardless which one you choose to pair with the HVAC/R technology program, either would be very beneficial to your future. Just realize that when you're done with school, the learning never stops.

Best of Luck,

-Digo

Post Likes
    Do it! Even if it isn't a wife and/kids your responsibilities will likely increase through the years and you'll likely find it harder to do it later than now. Your already in the school mode it'll be easy to continue.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    My 5 yr old son "Dad, Siri is not very smart when there's no internet."

Post Likes
    Thanks guys,

I was pretty set on it regardless of the answers I got here, but this makes me feel a lot better about it. Like was said I might as well do it now while I still can, and hopefully it takes me where I want to be someday, but I enjoy the stuff enough and enjoy learning about it so no matter what I think its the right thing to do.

And to answer some of you questions, it is a CIS degree, don't know why I said computer science, the CIS degree also includes some business classes which I feel can't hurt.
    And as far as programming goes I have taken a C# .net applications class and will be taking an object oriented C# class next semester, and the JAVA and HTML are just kind of something I have been learning on my own in my spare time, but of course I will get deeper into those with the degree.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in