speeding...points

Is this true? I heard if you get a ticket for whatever, lets say speeding.

If you send a check for $1 more than the amount, the court will send

you back a check for $1. If you dont cash the $1 check, the fine is

paid, but the case is still open cause you never cashed the check and closed

out the case. Leaving the points at court and never going to DMV and on

your record. Anybody hear of this???
    “If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.” ~ Sir Isaac Newton

I'm learning all the time, the tombstone will be my diploma!!!

Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

Old wives tale, if you don't cash the check they keep your money - that is all.

Sounds like a good start for a thread about some of the non-truths we have been told through the years.

I was told once that if you line your hubcaps with aluminum foil, the police radar would not be able to correctly read your speed.

I was also told that it would throw the readings off if you throw a handful of cut up aluminum foil out your window as you went through radar.
    It's a mechanical device, designed by humans, built by humans and operated by humans. What could possibly go wrong?

So, how fast were you driving, Earnhardt?
    KX500......the original big green meanie

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy1010 View Post
    Is this true? I heard if you get a ticket for whatever, lets say speeding.

If you send a check for $1 more than the amount, the court will send

you back a check for $1. If you dont cash the $1 check, the fine is

paid, but the case is still open cause you never cashed the check and closed

out the case. Leaving the points at court and never going to DMV and on

your record. Anybody hear of this???
    there is only one way to find out............please keep us updated on how this works out for you.

btw, your lawyer fees will out weigh any fine. Remember, Motor Vehicle code is like blackjack, the odds are in THEIR favor.
    LOVE has four letters

So does BEER, DEER,GUNS AND FISH

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    there is only one way to find out............please keep us updated on how this works out for you.

btw, your lawyer fees will out weigh any fine. Remember, Motor Vehicle code is like blackjack, the odds are in THEIR favor.
    My wife charges $50 to take care of speeding tickets for her clients.

Never just pay a speeding ticket fine. It will include court costs and fees even if you never appear before a judge. What you or your lawyer can do is cut a deal with the prosecutor to pay just the court costs and fees and have the judge take the matter "under advisement". The ticket will never appear on your driving record and if you don't get another ticket in six months, the ticket just goes away. I am sure this is not true for all areas of the country, but it works fine here.

Notice I said you or your lawyer. You don't have to have a lawyer to play let's make a deal with the prosecutor. Chances are your outcome will be better with a lawyer handling it. The prosecutor does not have to accept the offer. When making deals it is always true "it is not what you know, it is who you know".
    Signature on hold. Trying to find a real Jefferson quote I like. Others here have bogus Jefferson quotes too.

Quote Originally Posted by wgrr View Post
    My wife charges $50 to take care of speeding tickets for her clients.

Never just pay a speeding ticket fine. It will include court costs and fees even if you never appear before a judge. What you or your lawyer can do is cut a deal with the prosecutor to pay just the court costs and fees and have the judge take the matter "under advisement". The ticket will never appear on your driving record and if you don't get another ticket in six months, the ticket just goes away. I am sure this is not true for all areas of the country, but it works fine here.

Notice I said you or your lawyer. You don't have to have a lawyer to play let's make a deal with the prosecutor. Chances are your outcome will be better with a lawyer handling it. The prosecutor does not have to accept the offer. When making deals it is always true "it is not what you know, it is who you know".
    This is NY, and the court system here is not designed to be "used friendly". This state is so broke there is no "lets make a deal"(i know, I just got a ticket or as we like to call them, a Traffic award ) and a 1180-D (NYS traffic code for a speed violation) stays on your record for 18 months. If your speed was 0-19 mph over the limit you get 4 points, if your 20+ over the speed limit you get 6 points, the fines go up and your insurance takes it up the back side.

On a side note, anyone coming to NYS, be aware that there is no longer a "speed cushion" of plus 5mph or 9 mph over the limit....you'll get a ticket for 66 in 65.....just so you know
    LOVE has four letters

So does BEER, DEER,GUNS AND FISH