I'm installing a new Ruud Modulating upflow gas furnace and air filter in my home. I'm debating Aprilaire 5000 vs Air Bear Supreme 1400 Media type. I have 3 tons of air and a 3 ton 12 SEER condenser. I also plan to bring in outside air, perhaps through a whole house dehumidifier. If not, it will go directly into my return and through the filter I select. Filter size will be about 16 x 25. All equipment is in a furnace room on the lower level of my bi-level house, making it easily accessable.
    I've heard the Aprilaire 5000 is the best of both worlds-electronic and media, and only in need of cleaning once a year. I've also heard it's ozone production is rather high and maintainance is a little tricky. I believe the 5000 is at least Merv 10, while the Air Bear Supreme 1400 is Merv 8. I don't have access to Lennox so their unit got ruled out. The Air Bear seems simple with excellent capacity and an easy to change media element. What am I missing? If money wasn't an issue, which would you prefer for your home. Please share your opinions on the matter. I will greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks
    Roger
    near St. Louis, MO

The Aprilaire is more like a MERV 12. You need a seperate filter on the make-up or you will an unfiltered hole to the outside when the fan is off. Also fresh air only when the air handler in operating. Should have fresh filtered air when the home is occupied not only when the there is heating/cooling. Fresh air ventilation is required but you need supplement dehumidification. Like this week in St. Louis it's 70^F, 95%RH outside, this requires 70-90 pints of dehumidication/day to maintain <50%RH. Checkout Ultra-Aire's ventilating dehumidifier. It's a system.

Teddy Bear,
    The Ultra-Aire's ventilating dehumidifier is exactly what I had in mind. Since it has built in filtering of the outside air I thought it would take some of the load off whatever filter I put with the furnace.
    Roger